Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drag behavior.
I don't think a dislike of drag means somebody is self-hating xD That would only follow if he was intolerant of drag, but couldn't leave the house without his stockings and a feather boa.

I'm not exactly a fan of the drag concept, but that's because I see it more as an entertainment concept than anything. I have no issue with transvestism, but in m experience drag is an extremely tacky affair which really does seem to just fuel negative stereotypes.

Drag artists don't want to be a different gender, they just want to hide behind a wig and make-up, lip-sync a few songs, make a few outrageous comments, then take the costume off and deny all responsibility for their actions.

Personally, I think drag (or at least the popular image therof) is the source of a lot of trans hate, because a lot of phobic laymen don't feel the need to seperate basic concepts, so long as they can paint them with the same brush, and hate them all at once.

So personally not a fan.

It doesn't help that some of them just don't make the effort they should. I mean, if you're gonna wear lipstick and a skirt, you could at least shave your beard and legs xD

I see drag as a form of entertainment, some like it, some don't. I am sure most people don't honestly think all gay men are into it, so I wouldn't worry. It doesn't have to impact on you.

The only thing I find a bit uncomfortable is that, yes, it is part of the drag genre to be bitchy and catty, but I think a good drag queen should pick up on who is wanting to engage with it, who is up for a ribbing, and who just happens to be drinking in the bar. Drag queens are quite prevalent on my local scene, so you can't necessarily avoid them so easily. One time me and my friend, who is quite and shy, went in a bar, just went to fetch our drinks in and the drag queen who was playing the records made a comment about my friend that he found hurtful and had not done anything to instigate, in front of the whole room. Is it like, you're 'fair game' just for being in the bar? I don't think that's very nice.

kidchameleon Wrote:I don't think a dislike of drag means somebody is self-hating xD That would only follow if he was intolerant of drag, but couldn't leave the house without his stockings and a feather boa.

I'm not exactly a fan of the drag concept, but that's because I see it more as an entertainment concept than anything. I have no issue with transvestism, but in m experience drag is an extremely tacky affair which really does seem to just fuel negative stereotypes.

Drag artists don't want to be a different gender, they just want to hide behind a wig and make-up, lip-sync a few songs, make a few outrageous comments, then take the costume off and deny all responsibility for their actions.

Personally, I think drag (or at least the popular image therof) is the source of a lot of trans hate, because a lot of phobic laymen don't feel the need to seperate basic concepts, so long as they can paint them with the same brush, and hate them all at once.

So personally not a fan.

It doesn't help that some of them just don't make the effort they should. I mean, if you're gonna wear lipstick and a skirt, you could at least shave your beard and legs xD

Kid, you nailed it
Ta,
Trial

I think I viewed it maybe different when I was younger - more of surprise or clueless why men dress in drag = now its do what you want - be who you want -dress as you want - im gay so who am I to judge - I don't want to be hated on so why should I pick on someone elses personality - the uk has had some great trans and cross dressing programmes in recent years, its a brain thing not a choice I thing

Gurl, you shouldn't even give a shit, just as much as drags don't give a shit about your opinion Wink

You kinda lost some points with me with this thread tho ;c

DRAG

Its different things to different people.

For some, its a way of life because they find womens fashions more appealing than mens.

For some, its a means of income, because they can dress up and be a "bitch" and get paid for it, or they look like someone famous when in drag.

For ME - I do it because its a stress relief method. I not only get to dress up and act up, I get a chance to pretty much be a totally different person. And its FUN AS HELL!! I do "camp" drag, which is someone who dresses in drag, making fun of people who dress in drag.

I think its moronic and stupid to STILL, in the 21st century, be accepting that women can wear MENS clothes and nobody even blinks twice at that, but a man cant get all pretty and dolled up without being beaten, threatened, arrested, called names, or killed, just because he wants to put on a nice dress.

If I could do drag for a living, I certainly would. Its fun and creative.

And expen$ive!!

[Image: bianca-del-rio-rupauls-drag-race-season-6-facebook.jpg]

I don't find it attractive, but why should I have to? I don't think that's what it's about at all. It's about doing what you feel is right. Shake it honey! Meanwhile, I will be sitting home with a beer. Cheers!

PS: I wear makeup too. There's nothing wrong with it!

[Image: batman02.jpg]

Sebastian Wrote:Gurl, you shouldn't even give a shit, just as much as drags don't give a shit about your opinion Wink

You kinda lost some points with me with this thread tho ;c

That's a real pity, and I'm sorry you feel that way because I happen to have an opinion, which, at the outset, I said is just that, my opinion.

As stated, in the OP, this discussion should be around why the need for, what is in my view, this and other similar outlandish and unacceptable behaviour.

Some people, "got it" and have given me a bit more insight. Thank you indeed.

Other's again didn't, and rather hastily jumped on the band-wagon of vilifying my particular point of view..... sigh... I did try to avoid that..

Anyhow,

You see, there is a very nice Yiddish saying that goes something like this: -

Never judge a person unless you have walked his path with the same stones in your shoes

Now I'm guessing that you have never been personally negatively affected by this, and other similar (in my opinion) unacceptable behaviour, but I have. Nearly catastrophicaly so.

For an insight into that affair, trot off to my posting on chit chat regards my foster son.

That individual was a WELL KNOWN DRAG!

I hope you will then be a little acommodating, and "give back" my points..

Kind regards
Trial

P.S.
I'm definately no girl / gurl, I'm very much a man (last I looked) Confusedmile: who is both mentally and physically attracted to other men who are themselves attracted to men!

have a great evening / morning / day / night / afternoon! Biglaugh

VileKyle Wrote:I don't find it attractive, but why should I have to? I don't think that's what it's about at all. It's about doing what you feel is right. Shake it honey! Meanwhile, I will be sitting home with a beer. Cheers!

PS: I wear makeup too. There's nothing wrong with it!

[Image: batman02.jpg]

And I LOVE dancing with the devil, in the pale moon light!!!!
Evilgrin1

My friend who is a gay guy is obsessed with the whole show RuPauls Drag Race here
in the States.

I used to like the show and watched the first two seasons, but I'm terrible with keeping
up watching shows on televisions and I stopped watching.

There is definitely that factor in being catty and super over the top with being a Drag Queen, but I think thats part of the whole persona.

I've heard it in a movie explained as a gay man having too much fashion sense for just one gender. I think it was from, "Too Wong Foo" ;]

I've been to a few Drag Show, since our local Gay bar hosts a night dedicated to it, and people do get to be the butt of the jokes by the Drag Queens, but I don't see it as being any different as going to a Comedy Club and being picked by the Comedian.