Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drones
Anyone here a drone pilot? I'm making this thread with the intent on the discussion of drones in general. I have had my DJI Phantom 3 Advanced for about a month and have about 11-12 hours of flying in. I have enjoyed it a lot and have been getting a lot of awesome photos and videos (see the post your photography thread). Flying the drone has also got me interested in aviation in general... I have been in two aircraft... one was a Cessna 172 and a the other was a helicopter over Myrtle Beach, SC. I will say the Cessna was a little more scary...and really wasn't scared per say but banking into corners and it really was a first for me to be in a plane at all, it's a very liberating experience (and expensive too :/ ).

Anyway, welcome any discussion on drones and no I don't use it to do anything, I try my best to be in compliance with the FAA, however in the mountains it is difficult to know for sure what your AGL is, there isn't the required instrumentation to give that. I can see what the altitude is from where I took off and can even extract the actual altitude but the drone doesn't know where the ground is so this leaves a lot of guess work when you need to climb to get over a hill - of course you risk losing radio reception should you descend behind a hill...

Anyway, I have flown something to the order of 150 miles since I have had it and continue to have fun with it Smile
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!