Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Duck Dynasty controversy
First I'd like to say that before this whole controversy issue came up, I had no idea what Duck Dynasty was and still kinda don't know. A reality show or something? I just saw some Duck Dynasty Chia Pets at my Home Depot and wondered what the heck that was about.
But anyway, apparently one of the show's stars Phil Robertson was suspended from the show for some anti-gay and racially insensitive comments. A lot of people are upset over the comments, but do you guys think it's a big deal? Should it be a big deal? Some people are saying "Oh, it's just another racist and homophobic redneck, what else is new?" But aren't generalizing comments about Southerners like that also a little racist....wait...no, that's not the right word. Areaist....?
Anyway, thoughts? Maybe someone can tell me a little more about what the heck this show is.

The TV show is one of those "reality" shows about a family that got rich from making products for duck hunters. Just more useless bullshit TV.

Ive seen TONS of "hate" stories about this guy, but none of the stories ever said exactly what it was, that this guy said. So I have no idea if what he said was bad or not.

All I know is, the media takes one itty bitty insignificant thing and blows it up to something preposterously ignorant.

All I know is that the show is about a Southern family who got wealthy with their business making duck calls and other hunting equipment (hence the title). I didn't even know what it was until a couple of months ago and have had no inclination to find out more.

The guy exercised his right to freely say something stupid, the network exercised its right to give him the boot, and now everyone on both sides of the argument are exercising their rights to give a shit about something that doesn't really matter. That's the 'murican way for ya.

Most concerning thing here is...

who is worrying about all the poor ducks dying cause of this family?..:eek:

no seriously...

I know nothing about this, but if some ignorant douche says something offensive it only becomes important if there are people who care about it...

so, let's not pay attention to crap and that's it...

I read the Brandon Sun article in regards to his comments and he is real jerk. The reason this has become so important for me, is because in the café, right in front of my parents, my sister said he deserved the boot for his comments… you could have heard a pin drop at our table… I’m so proud of her… SO HAPPY!!

To quote David Javerbaum:

Quote:The Duck Dynasty guy who likened homosexuality to bestiality makes a living helping people trick ducks into thinking they want to fuck them.

https://twitter.com/TheTweetOfGod/status...6806559744

It's a dumb show anyways. I don't understand why anyone paid attention to them in the first place. It's not like anything valuable was ever expected from any of them. I guess that just shows what the standards in this country are, though. Whatever. This just backs up why I never watched it, or any show like it, in the first place.

VileKyle Wrote:It's a dumb show anyways. I don't understand why anyone paid attention to them in the first place. It's not like anything valuable was ever expected from any of them. I guess that just shows what the standards in this country are, though. Whatever. This just backs up why I never watched it, or any show like it, in the first place.

It shows how inept, greedy, and damaging "Hollywood" is on people. Making the most ignorant, useless, meaningless pieces of human garbage celebrities. It also shows how brain dead the American public has become.........which is what the government wants anyway.

I'm not really upset or surprised.

In the small defense that can be made for him, his response was typical of someone in his demographic-- the interviewer knew that there was a strong likelihood that his response would be what it was.

Unfortunately, he wasn't just homophobic, but he actually stated that black people haven't been happy since segregation, which makes his stance increasingly out dated.

The reality is that very few parents want their kids exposed to this, and most people don't agree with this. So he makes the company behind his position look bad, and they're in all rights to remove him from that position because of that, which is exactly what happened. This response, by the way, was also very predictable.

To me, it's just that simple. He had no real power over anyone or anything, and I'm not going to have a bad day because of it.

He was probably raised that way and never cared to learn anything outside of his small painted world. I don't know if he should be kicked permanently though, im afraid that's a slippery slope on freedom of speech. He should be reprimanded and temporally kicked in my opinion. I read the story and to be honest it only bothered me to a point I thought "What a closed minded old fool".