Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Duck Dynasty controversy
He also lumped "gays, drunks, and terrorists" together. While he technically meant all sinners are the same those choice of words can easily be misunderstood (or understood all too well depending on the context) but I am curious what my alcoholic dad (who's not a Christian) would think of being lumped with gays and terrorists.

As for the show itself, I was urged to watch it as it was supposed to be "funny" (not sure whether those who told me that laughed with or at it) but I gave up on it after a couple of eps. It's supposedly a reality show (though there was at least one moment each that I strongly suspect was scripted just as many "reality shows" actually are). (wikipedia link)

The question I have is if this guy is expressing a genuine opinion (and the other controversies) or if he's "pulling a Miley" (that is being shocking on purpose to boost ratings, just look at how many more people heard of the show on this thread). Either one is believable to me.

Pix Wrote:The question I have is if this guy is expressing a genuine opinion (and the other controversies) or if he's "pulling a Miley" (that is being shocking on purpose to boost ratings, just look at how many more people heard of the show on this thread). Either one is believable to me.

But the show is kind of in jeopardy because of him. So his "pulling a Miley" plan backfired.

TonyAndonuts Wrote:But the show is kind of in jeopardy because of him. So his "pulling a Miley" plan backfired.

Maybe. That happens as the View discovered when they recruited Rosie to add spice and scandal but then dropped her when she got too hot and I don't think they ever fully recovered from that.

However, in his case he can probably work out even better deals now or become a best selling author (and won't even have to write it, just put his name to what a ghost writer does, instant best seller). And the show may take him back, that is this entire ploy could be a publicity stunt meant to draw in more viewers.

I was actually more taken aback by what he said about black people picking cotton and how "happy" they were...YIKES!

Ummm.............................................. .................................................. ............................................

A Southern Conservative Redneck Born Again Christian saying gay people are evil and immoral is nothing new. I crack up though because IF he is right and people like him are what is populating his heaven...I would BECOME "evil" so I didn't have to spend eternity with him or anyone like him.

The free speech arguments from Sarah Palin and the rest of Duckies right wing political fans is funny because I definitely support free speech 100%...especially when I hate what they are saying..... but conversely people who hear what you have to say have a right to free speech as well...DUH...and hearing these Republicans trying to get some publicity pretending they support "free speech" is hilarious considering they were dragging people out of public taxpayer supported GW events for having the wrong t shirt and bumper sticker on their car.

[Image: LMAODDSLAMMER_zps7d131808.jpg]

well I guess its freedom of speech ,,he can all he wants about gay people,, its on a show and behind a camera crew,, say bad things to my face then he has a problem,, he does make southern people look bad though, end of the day , controversy sells ,,, I bet more people watch it now

A&Es parent network company is half owned by Disney so they share the same views. Once Phil had the interview and spoke about his closed minded views they pulled him since the show makes to much money. To be honest Phil has enough money that he really doesn't care to watch his mouth on TV so I'm surprised it hasn't happened sooner. I have lots of people at my work that think the same way and don't understand why he got kicked off but I don't let it bother me. Its like that old Buddha story where the man come up to him and tells him that everything he is doing and teaching is wrong and he is scum. He does not let it bother him though because he knows what he is doing is right and since he does not accept the mans opinion it will stay with the man, like a unaccepted gift. Just because people spew ignorant opinions doesnt mean you should listen. Anyway its all free publicity for the network while the story is making its rounds which is why they jumped on it.

A dumb twit saying dumb things... next story...

You are free to say whatever you want. You can hate homosexuals, women, men, the disabled, straight people, or anyone else for that matter. But freedom of speech is different from Freedom of Consequences of that speech. Say what you want, sometimes there is a price. At the very least expect your words to be judged in the court of popular opinion, especially when your speech is unpopular. If you choose to judge, know that you too will be judged in the process. If you're not perfect, its not wise to cast stones. Freedom of Speech says that the US federal government won't shut you up. It makes no guarantees you wont be fired by A&E for being an ass. Phil Robertson was in his rights to say what he said but that does not excuse him as a representative of A&E, and A&E were perfectly in their rights to fire his bigoted ass. Freedom of speech protects you against government censure not by the corporation with whom you've signed a big scary contract with that states "I will not say anything as stupid as "X". If I do, you can fire my dumb hick ass."

There's something fishy about this whole situation that doesn't sit right with me and that's the fact that GQ (A men's fashion magazine) was interviewing someone who's daily wardrobe consists of camo everything. He also said he doesn't treat them(LGBTs/african americans) any differently than he would anyone else, which from a bigot, is probably the best we are going to get. Not everyone knows what Phil said aside from the GQ article, meaning that all these people crying free speech are all supporting gay bashing and racism, and I think that's what scares me the most.

And that's all I have to say on the matter.

While this guy skips the tempest in a teapot I thought some of our gay Christians might like what he had to say about the verse and its context: