Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eaaaaarthquaaaaaake
princealbertofb Wrote:Of course we don't all want our houses and families destroyed in an earthquake... I suppose the place where you'd be most likely to experience one would be in Japan. They are so common there that they regularly have safety practice. Do you remember a few years ago the tremor that shook Kobe?

I do! I have a very poor memory though. I can remember events happening... but never remember the details haha. My memory is extremely poor though :-S

Poor or selective? It can be trained, you know...

princealbertofb Wrote:Poor or selective? It can be trained, you know...
Nope, just genetically poor haha. It runs in the family.
I have a diary, a to do list and a calendar... and a pad of paper to scribble more things down i need to do... and I still forget Confusedmile:

Yes, indeed, but nintedo DS is a requirement hehe

Was fast asleep whilst the tremor occurred so missed all the excitement!

Just saw it on BBC News,hope no one is hurt.Formalities aside,it must have been really cool though!

I didnt notice it at all to be honestttttt.
[COLOR="Purple"]As I grow to understand less and less,
I learn to love it more and more.
[/COLOR]

PA got it right about how living in Japan will give you a good perspective (or San Francisco). I lived in Tokyo for 10 years and then San Fran for 5 years.

They are terrifying in Japan because they are so often and memories of them are so strong. I was there during Kobe and if I am forgetting things but about 10,000 died, mostly from fires. I remember being horrified to learn that families were still living in shelters five years later.

I taught in THE tallest building in Asia, at the time it was... it was built on rollers. It was so crazy. The restaurant on the top floor (I think it was like 60 or 70 floors) so the top floor would start swinging just with a strong wind. I was in that building only once for an tremmer. they had this reassuring female voice in Japanese saying how this was the safest building to be in in the world as Japanese women around you started sobbing and I wondered which direction to start running and would the building follow me or go on the rollers the other way.

San Fran seemed a lot easier as they were much rarer but I started wondering if that was a good thing or not. Maybe it was a good thing to let off pressure every once in a while???

slightly gory part coming up here... My apt building survived the really big earthquake in SF around 1906. It was very rare for that area as all buildings had collapsed. The basement was used as a mortuary. I never told the Japanese BF as he would have freaked!

stay safe,
frank

Oh when did the earth quake happened and where about? London? East, north, west London?

Goodness...That's why my mum was calling early this morning ? i didnt reply she will think i am trapped under ruins Rolleyes

spotysocks Wrote:Oh when did the earth quake happened and where about? London? East, north, west London?

Goodness...That's why my mum was calling early this morning ? i didnt reply she will think i am trapped under ruins Rolleyes

Near Hull (northern west coast), Spotysocks... That's where the epicentres was according to Smurlos. Not surprising that your mother called though. Greece has experienced rather dangerous earthquakes.

fjp999 Wrote:PA got it right about how living in Japan will give you a good perspective (or San Francisco). I lived in Tokyo for 10 years and then San Fran for 5 years.

They are terrifying in Japan because they are so often and memories of them are so strong. I was there during Kobe and if I am forgetting things but about 10,000 died, mostly from fires. I remember being horrified to learn that families were still living in shelters five years later.

I taught in THE tallest building in Asia, at the time it was... it was built on rollers. It was so crazy. The restaurant on the top floor (I think it was like 60 or 70 floors) so the top floor would start swinging just with a strong wind. I was in that building only once for an tremmer. they had this reassuring female voice in Japanese saying how this was the safest building to be in in the world as Japanese women around you started sobbing and I wondered which direction to start running and would the building follow me or go on the rollers the other way.

San Fran seemed a lot easier as they were much rarer but I started wondering if that was a good thing or not. Maybe it was a good thing to let off pressure every once in a while???

slightly gory part coming up here... My apt building survived the really big earthquake in SF around 1906. It was very rare for that area as all buildings had collapsed. The basement was used as a mortuary. I never told the Japanese BF as he would have freaked!

stay safe,
frank
What an interesting experience post, Frank... One of the other reasons why this forum is interesting, wouldn't you say? You've probably been
q a e
;;u k d

more than any other poster on this forum