Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Economics Module
So as some of you may remember i am currently studying for a business management degree, first year.
I have had 3 exams this week, all of which i think, due to frankly a lot of hard work have gone well. I have 2 left, one of which, not being cocky but i know will be fine. The other however is a different matter. It's all about economics. And despite attending the majority (granted not all) of the lectures i know absolutely nothing, i understand the basics, and can work a lot of it out, but nothing in detail. For the exam on tuesday (which is also my birthday) i have to answer 25 multiple choice questions, which should be ok, and this is worth 1/4 of the exam. However i need 40% to pass. The rest of the exam's marks are taken from 2 essay questions, worth 37.5% each. I don't have a hope of doing these as i simply don't know the detail. I could probably write a bit for each essay, but not enough to get me a decent mark.
It seems so unfair that despite my hard work in the other 6 modules and for the 6 other exams i have done that my first year is going to be ruined by one stupid module. See if i dont pass the module i dont pass the year and wont be able to carry on to next year.

I don't really know why i'm writing this. Just to get it off my chest i suppose. I just don't know what to do, i don't have the time to teach myself the module before tuesday (even though that's what i'm trying to do).

Anyway that's my rant over. Sorry to all that read it for the boredom it induced.

John xx

I'm kinda' confused how an economics exam would have an essay section on it, maybe I misunderstood? Nevertheless, you'd be surprised how much material you could teach yourself if you cram for a test the night before. Get a lot of the general info. first, and then study the specifics after.
And since you need to pass the test to pass the year, make sure you can pass that test, even though you don't understand exactly what you're reading from your textbook, just know how to do it so you can perform on the test. If you really care about the material, you can always read the textbook a second time after the term is done Wink

Whatever you do, get a good nights rest the night before, its best you write the test focused, good luck.

Personal Wrote:I'm kinda' confused how an economics exam would have an essay section on it, maybe I misunderstood? Nevertheless, you'd be surprised how much material you could teach yourself if you cram for a test the night before. Get a lot of the general info. first, and then study the specifics after.
And since you need to pass the test to pass the year, make sure you can pass that test, even though you don't understand exactly what you're reading from your textbook, just know how to do it so you can perform on the test. If you really care about the material, you can always read the textbook a second time after the term is done Wink

Whatever you do, get a good nights rest the night before, its best you write the test focused, good luck.

A lot of our exam papers at uni level and even GCSE level now, have essay questions on them. Granted you aren't expected to write 1500-3000 words, but they are extended pieces of writing as opposed to a few short sentences.

As for the way your course works John, I am finding it a bit hard to understand that if you even fail ONE course unit, you fail your whole year... that is WELL harsh!! See at my uni, courses vary in value.

If you do a course which is taught for one semester in a 2 hour time slot each week, that unit is worth 1 course unit. Core units are taught in 2 hour time slots but over the whole year i.e. in both semesters and are worth 2 course units.

Over a year we have to do 8 course units. I am doing a joint honors degree, so 4 of my units each year are devoted to core units. Which leaves me free to pick 4 units. In a year we have to pass 6 units to get to the next year at least.

This means we can fail one core unit or 2 other units. Anymore and we fail. Which means we have a bit of a margin there... where as if I understood correctly... you have to pass all your units?? :eek:

Well I' dunno, all I can suggest I guess is to look over what notes you do have, maybe google them for more depth on the subject? Does your intranet have a past paper section? Ours did so we were able to see what came up for the last few years and revise accordingly.

Good luck matey! x