Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Erm... hello?
Okay so... hi, I'm bilkiba, I am a 22-year-old bisexual woman living in the bible belt of the USA... while my girlfriend lives across the Atlantic. I have social phobia and depression and, while it is undiagnosed due to having no money to see a shrink, likely Asperger's Syndrome as well (I know someone who has studied it extensively who says I fit the bill, and I do have many AS characteristics whether it would be diagnosed as such or not).

I have been on a forum for "normal" people for two years now, but I am beginning to feel like it is not a good environment for me as no one there bothers to try understanding me and many just attack me because that is easier. I don't know how else to make friends (which I desperately need) than online, so I'm hoping to make some friends here in what seems to be a safe environment.

So, as a warning, I tend to take things literally, not understand social conventions, and get easily worked up and confused. I do try to keep myself under control and sometimes I can, and this place looks relatively free of stressors, so I just ask that everyone please be patient with me.

Erm... that's all. Hopefully I don't sound like a troll or some kind of person who is begging for attention. ^^;

Hi bilkiba, I can relate to the social phobia thing but not the rest of it.

Try posting your thoughts and see wear it goes. You do kind of sound like someone begging for attention but as you post people will see that you're not if you are not after attention.

Hello bilkiba! Welcome to GS. I hope you find a friendly place here to share your thoughts and ideas.
Oh honey, I really feel for you. When you say you're in the bible belt and then talk about not having the money for the care you need, I know you are living in one of those states that did not take expanded medicaid. There are many that see the problem of Obamacare as being that money is spent for medical care for the poor. Your issue highlights the real problem, that it did not go far enough and leaves out many vulnerable people. In the states that took expanded medicaid, mental health is included in the coverage.

happyschizoid Wrote:Hi bilkiba, I can relate to the social phobia thing but not the rest of it.

Try posting your thoughts and see wear it goes. You do kind of sound like someone begging for attention but as you post people will see that you're not if you are not after attention.
I want to say something about this, bilkiba. I suspect from your post that the feelings you have of other sites you have belonged to not being healthy for you could stem from not finding the support you were seeking. The internet can be a wonderful place for people with medical or mental conditions to find support as a supplement to their professional care for their condition, but it cannot be a substitute for that professional care. I know you do not have the money for the care you need, but you have to be careful as the advice of anonymous people online could possibly result in bad advice or people just being mean that could make a condition worse.

@happyschizoid, Mostly I'm just looking for friends, but I've been advised to tell people up front that I have these issues, because it can supposedly make things go smoother.

@Iceblink, Yeah, this area is not the best. And my main problems with other sites are that people will say insensitive and hurtful things without even realizing it. That happens often irl too, around here at least. Most of the advice I do take is from professionals, when I can get it in like books and pamphlets. Online I'm mostly looking for people to talk to about just anything really.

Anyway thank you both for welcoming me here.

Hi welcome to GS.
An eye for an eye

welcome to the forum!
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

I certainly welcome you, bilkiba. What you say sounds familiar, because I have autism too. We all have worries, but some advice: "no worries" is a much happier state of mind. Smile If you find enough people to relate to you, and I'd be willing to lend a hand, it may counteract some insecurities. You're not alone, I'm in the same boat, and there are plenty of others.

@CellarDweller Thanks. Smile

@wayward Yes, I know. Currently I'm feeling pretty good and have my issues fairly under control, but I am glad to meet someone else who understands the struggles I face when it is not as easily controlled. I would also be willing to lend a hand to you in return. Smile

Welcome! You'll make friends in no time, try the chat room. :biggrin: