Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eurovision 2008 -it's going to be ... Interesting! lol
I counldnt resist to post this here ...even if you like or loath eurovision because the songs aren't always good watch this. I couldnt stop grinning/laughing... with a hai he ho and hai he he!

The Latvian entry ...oh bless. :biggrin:

Oh My... is that time of year again already!!!

YAY!!!!!! lol

Eurovision is something you either love to hate or hate to love.. either way... it's must watch TV!!!

Not expecting the UK to win at all... even if they came up with the best song... we wouldn't get anywhere!

And the Latvian entry.. It's catchy! hehe

Someone please explain the concept of this show and why you all love it so much.I once saw a clip of the winners on Top Of The Pops (R.I.P) I think or MTV and it was these hideous monsters "singing" metal.I was like "wtf?" what were they smoking when they voted for this.Luckily,I have never seen or heard that group from then on.They were really scary!

3 days til the UK decides their entry! Big Grin

Hyde Wrote:3 days til the UK decides their entry! Big Grin

What are the nominations??

Oh my! It's THAT time of year again! The time of year that Wogan comes out of hiding and adds the icing to the cake! I can't believe a year has gone since last year's one! If it carries on at this pace, I'll be asking for antiwrinkle cream and botox for my birthdays soon!

I find the Latvian entry hilarious!

Indeed time flied quickly since the last year's eurovision, i was surprised myself when i saw the advert for the pre-selection .Rolleyes

I think that the guy who was in Xfactor (Andy Abraham) has a song this year but i dont know more. Havent heard any of the tunes yet. I love Terry Wogan though, he makes me laugh every time.

Dan, Eurovision basically is a song contest, where about 35 countries from the region of Europe (Even Russia Israel and Turkey participate) take part every year with one song each.
For every country to choose this song there is a pre-selection in tv of 4-5 songs and people vote what song they want to represent their country.
Once they choose the song there is another pre-selection to choose what country will be in the final show. Only 24 countries get in the final i think and who gets the most votes in the final wins. The Prize is that the country with the winning song will host the next year's competition which brings tourism, money, fame ect. You saw the metal band 'Lordi' from Finland so now you have an idea in what extremes and shock methods they use to win... lol

Dan1089 Wrote:Someone please explain the concept of this show and why you all love it so much.I once saw a clip of the winners on Top Of The Pops (R.I.P) I think or MTV and it was these hideous monsters "singing" metal.I was like "wtf?" what were they smoking when they voted for this.Luckily,I have never seen or heard that group from then on.They were really scary!

DAN, you've heard of ABBA, haven't you? Well, they won the Eurovision song contest in 1974 with Waterloo... And went on to becoming the world famous Swedish group that everyone has danced to... not everything that is promoted by the Eurovision song contest is bad, but sometimes it's pretty tacky... So kitsch that it's a delight for most gays (wonder why?) :confused:

And here I was thinking it was a rip-off of Idols.It must have become part of your "culture" already,wish we had something.Do the contestants sing the same selected songs every week,like in Idols where one has to sing a song every week.

Dan1089 Wrote:And here I was thinking it was a rip-off of Idols.It must have become part of your "culture" already,wish we had something.Do the contestants sing the same selected songs every week,like in Idols where one has to sing a song every week.

I really thought Eurovision was broadcast around the world... I know the Aussies and Americans get it!

It's a one off annual event that's been going since... err... a very long time, so it isn't like a weekly knockout contest as in Idols / X Factor etc... all the European countries vote for their favourite songs... giving their...

1st place choice: 12 ponts
2nd place: 10 points
3rd place: 8 points
4th: 6 points
5th: 5 points
6th: 4 points
7th: 3 points
8th: 2 points
9th: 1 point

(anyone please correct me if the scoring's wrong)

These all go onto a massive scoreboard and it updates after each country gives their votes... whoever gets the most votes wins, simple as... although if anyone get the famous "nil points" after all the voting they seem to be remembered more than the winners!

As Spotysocks says, there is the national pre-selection and the selection for which countries make it through to Eurovision night, but these don't tend to be watched by as many people... if they're even on tv at all.

If you can find a way, try and tune into the BBC on the night... Terry Wogan is comic genius... especially as he gets more drink down him as the night goes on.

Dan1089 Wrote:And here I was thinking it was a rip-off of Idols.It must have become part of your "culture" already,wish we had something.Do the contestants sing the same selected songs every week,like in Idols where one has to sing a song every week.
Nah, we don't have Idols anymore - we have X Factor now =[