Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Everything is a virus?
Making the second computer problem thread for the day...

I have a weird problem.

Whenever I go to download ANYTHING, my windows 7 system tells me said download is a virus. To re-phrase: Every download ever is a virus - which is logically impossible. This only happens through Google Chrome - which has no extensions. This occurs when firewall is turned off too.

This isn't a huge problem because I'm not using my usual laptop right now, and I can still download through Internet explorer, but it is annoying.

I are confused. Any ideas?

You pretty much answered your own question when you stated "Google Chrome".

What operating system do you have, and what anti-virus protection program do you have?

Do you have IE installed also?

Google Chrome has never given me a problem before, and it's not supposed to do this :\. I use it on everything.

This laptop is an Acer Aspire, windows 7, 64bit operating system. It's slower, but to be honest until now it had no problems.

I use Microsoft Security Essentials

Edit: I have internet explorer, it's actually downloading things fine. This is how I'm getting my notes right now... even though I hate IE. Is it possible that my computer just decided to think anything from chrome is a virus? I don't actually know how to fix this if so..

Im not too savvy with this stuff, but something might have upset your settings on your anti-virus program. Sometimes if you have your pc set to automatically download updates, sometimes an update will effect your anti-virus settings. Its not supposed too, but sometimes it does.

You might want to go into your pc, anti-virus program, and update settings to see if anything changed. You might also look at all your Google Chrome settings too.

Have you tried turning your computer off and on again? Frog

Oh, an actual suggestion: your Google Chrome program could be infected.

Some systems are still set up for IE, even though most of them run with Google Chrome.

My pc is new, with Windows 8.1, and Google Chrome is installed. But some sites I watch videos on, I have to use IE, otherwise Chrome freezes up and runs slow, but they run fine on IE.

So, when having issues downloading, try IE instead of Chrome.

VileKyle Wrote:Oh, an actual suggestion: your Google Chrome program could be infected.

Yeah, you might want to look to see if your Chrome is on auto-update. If it is not, then you might want to run an update on it.

If none of that information works, then run a windows update from the Microsoft website.

If that does not help, well....dont know what else to tell ya.

Only other thing I can think of, is if you are connected online via some connection device other than your pc being directly connected to the internet cable. Sometimes those devices need to be reset or even replaced.

My internet cable is connected to a box device, and that is attached to my pc. I have had to have the box device replaced twice since I have had the internet service.