Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Facebook: what's the big deal?
Well rather uncharacteristically of me I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I'm actually dead against facebook, myspace, bebo, and the trillion-or-so other similar sites out there, as I think they result in divulging WAAAAAAAAAY too much information about yourself to all sorts of people that can get ahold of it so very, very easily.

People say that it's a great way of keeping in touch with old schoolmates and what have you, and they're right to do so, but my mentality is a bit more ... I'm in touch with all the ones I want to be in touch with, so I'm not really fussed about finding the ones that can't be arsed to find me ...

... add to that all the sensationalised stories you hear of people being fired 'coz pictures of them half-cut walking naked down streets at 2am have been found on their myspace or facebook profile, and you have a LOT of people, both professional and private, sincere and insincere, scrutinising a LOT of information about you, and that just makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end, I'm sorry to say ...

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!

I have been using it for a week or so now and i got to say that is different than myspace although it does the same thing really. Bebo i dont know but i had a look once and looks like another site for teenagers , i passed that period of my life. If i am to chose between myspace and facebook i d go with the second. They use Ajax i think which is the latest thing in web designing as far as know of course... and i like it. Is flexible and perfect for all Web 2.0 sites imo.

Can see now why it's this popular. they did a smart thing there. They allow other sites like flixter.com for the film fanatics, to have applications there and is good. Then they have dating applications that seem to work ok. They also make advertisement look as part of the site , sometimes you cant tell it is an advert or an application advertised or both, at least that is the impression i got. So you click ... they make money. You can choose what you want to use that site for. Gaming, Dating, find friends you havent seen for long time, make new friends, find sex.. all is there and done nicely.

Very smart i have to say!!! Congrats to that guy who made it. Cool

shadow Wrote:Well rather uncharacteristically of me I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I'm actually dead against facebook, myspace, bebo, and the trillion-or-so other similar sites out there, as I think they result in divulging WAAAAAAAAAY too much information about yourself to all sorts of people that can get ahold of it so very, very easily.

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!

I'd have to agree with you. I think there are already too many things people can find out about a person from reading information on such sites and others. We are constantly exposing ourselves to scrutiny which might or might not be potentially harmful. My reserved nature, I suppose, my own innate sense of privacy. But I did open a MySpace site, which harbours little that could be confounding and also another blog more for professional reasons to keep in touch with the people I had to direct last year on the show.

(suspicious) PA

I am not going to defend that kind of sites in any way. It is true , people have too many details of them in there , can easily become victims of any kind of fraud BUT you have a choice whether you want to have personal information there and what. To be honest though i am worried. Especially when i see you kids there.

spotysocks Wrote:I am not going to defend that kind of sites in any way. It is true , people have too many details of them in there , can easily become victims of any kind of fraud BUT you have a choice whether you want to have personal information there and what. To be honest though i am worried. Especially when i see you kids there.

Heard today on France-Info, more and more women are having their personal pictures and details put up on the Internet by jilted lovers and angry ex husbands or boyfriends and end up being the aim of all sorts of unwanted calls for sex etc... So you see, if you put too much information up there, it can be used counterproductively. "Choose carefully!" is my motto.
(careful) PA