Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fifty Shades of Grey banned in India!
I haven't yet watched the movie, but i am kinda wondering what is it that the movie has that not only Indian govt. but also Malaysia, Indonesia and probably have also been forced to ban the movie. I have heard it's about kinky sex and BDSM. Can anyone who's watched the movie explain? I've heard the movie isn't that great though. Shakin

Well...this is just a theory, but I read in the paper the other day that a young college student was arrested for rape after he took a gorl back to his dorm room, tied her up, gagged her, paddled her and had sex with her. He said he was just emulating the male lead of the movie and thought what he was doing was sexy. The girl involved said she was terrified and said he raped her. With all the trouble India has had with rape (and some of those other countries you mentioned also seem to have a pretty high precentage of rape victims, as well), perhaps Indoa is trying to snuff out a precived possible problem before it begins...?
~Beaux

It's more abuse than actual BDSM (one reason many in the BDSM community loathe it) though the movie filters out the worst of it so that it's a lot less abusive (the book has an actual rape scene, though portrayed in a "sexy" way, but that's one of the things the movie leaves out).

It gets a wide range of ratings. Some countries ban it and even the UK made it so you have to be 17 to see it (IIRC) while France rated it so 12-year-olds can see it (but remember the movie is a lot less intense than the book). I was surprised to find that one African country (which tends to be very fundamentalist whatever their religion) was even promoting the book of all things (I forget the details on that and I'm not sure if they realized what it was about).

I don't know enough about Indian culture to hazard a guess on why it's banned there, though what Beaux says sounds like a reasonable guess.

Beaux Wrote:Well...this is just a theory, but I read in the paper the other day that a young college student was arrested for rape after he took a gorl back to his dorm room, tied her up, gagged her, paddled her and had sex with her. He said he was just emulating the male lead of the movie and thought what he was doing was sexy. The girl involved said she was terrified and said he raped her. With all the trouble India has had with rape (and some of those other countries you mentioned also seem to have a pretty high precentage of rape victims, as well), perhaps Indoa is trying to snuff out a precived possible problem before it begins...?
~Beaux

I see. Well, maybe that's exactly the reason why the Indian censorship board also banned it. India is a diverse country, with an eclectic mix of both educated and illiterate, rich and poor, liberal as well as conservative people co-existing together. The rape problem in the country is primarily due to the backward, illiterate lower class, that has been living the poverty line, under difficult conditions. These people, out of sheer poverty and illiteracy, have gone through so much of hardships, that they want to vent out their frustration by overpowering the fairer sex. In the wake of the such social structure, it's quite wise of the govt. to have banned such movies, as although these movies won't much impact the educated class, but will surely send wrong signals to the backward class.

Thanks for replying! Smile

Pix Wrote:It's more abuse than actual BDSM (one reason many in the BDSM community loathe it) though the movie filters out the worst of it so that it's a lot less abusive (the book has an actual rape scene, though portrayed in a "sexy" way, but that's one of the things the movie leaves out).

It gets a wide range of ratings. Some countries ban it and even the UK made it so you have to be 17 to see it (IIRC) while France rated it so 12-year-olds can see it (but remember the movie is a lot less intense than the book). I was surprised to find that one African country (which tends to be very fundamentalist whatever their religion) was even promoting the book of all things (I forget the details on that and I'm not sure if they realized what it was about).

I don't know enough about Indian culture to hazard a guess on why it's banned there, though what Beaux says sounds like a reasonable guess.

I wonder, if, in the name of freedom of expression, we can show to the wider audience the things that might be considered to be sexually explicit or plain vulgar. I am not being conservative or advocating moral policing, but is glorification of sex really necessary in the modern society?

indianajones Wrote:I wonder, if, in the name of freedom of expression, we can show to the wider audience the things that might be considered to be sexually explicit or plain vulgar. I am not being conservative or advocating moral policing, but is glorification of sex really necessary in the modern society?

I think the U.S. to be a neurotic society. Other countries yet cannot fully reach specific heights. I wonder how old that boy was that was emulating the male lead from the movie.