Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finding Spirituality
SolemnBoy Wrote:I like people who are determined never to lie! However there are some cases where it's sort of necessary.

Such as -.-?

SolemnBoy Wrote:I can definitely see where you're coming from but whether you believe in a traditional or non-traditional God or whether it's possible or impossible for humans to discover, prove and comprehend this entity, there is still going to be an answer. Either there is a God, not necessarily following the characteristics we expected, but nonetheless some form of benevolent force responsible for our existence, or there isn't.

Naturally, as there is no proof nor disproof as of now humans are divided into a "no" or a "yes". These are indeed our personal truths (save for the undecided) but that in itself doesn't really have a higher value; it's merely speculation. "My" truth is most certainly what I make it but no amount of subjective truths can hold anything against objective truth which most certainly exists. You can live your life in accordance to your beliefs but in the end they're going to be either correct or wrong. This was just what I was trying to say.
I'd say that subjective spiritual truths are worthless in the big picture, but yeah, individually they can create as much satisfaction or comfort as the believer sees fit.

Interesting view points. I guess that is true (the bolded) they only really matter to the believer.

Kiid Wrote:SCIENCE!

We should probably embrace that shit to the fullest.

That's an Einstein quote if I'm not mistaken.

I like to go by what the theoretical physicists Richard Feynman had to say:
“I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of uncertainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure of anything and there are many things I don't know anything about, such as whether it means anything to ask why we're here. I don't have to know an answer. I don't feel frightened not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell.”
- Richard P. Feynman

Juniorlove Wrote:But Solemn this is a conversation about spirituality in itself and finding it, not really debating whether there is a divine entity or not.

[SARCASM]

Yeah SolemnBoy. Get the fuck outta here with your Scandanavian godlessness and your "Oh look at me, I'm informing everyone subjective experience doesn't negate the existence of objective truth."

We were all having fun before you messed it all up. You and your... logic and thinking. Ugh...

Whether or not something is true or not has nothing to do with spirituality, or feeeeeeeeeling that something is true. And let's be honest, feeling that something is true is just as valid and worthwhile as proving something is true. I've been told all my life that two plus two is 4, but I have a feeling that two plus two is six hundred and four. As far as I'm concerned, my conclusion is just as plausible as theirs.

Elkgrin

[END SARCASM]

No one can get mad at me. I added a moose with a smile. That makes it all okay.

Wade Wrote:[SARCASM]

Yeah SolemnBoy. Get the fuck outta here with your Scandanavian godlessness and your "Oh look at me, I'm informing everyone subjective experience doesn't negate the existence of objective truth."

We were all having fun before you messed it all up. You and your... logic and thinking. Ugh...

Whether or not something is true or not has nothing to do with spirituality, or feeeeeeeeeling that something is true. And let's be honest, feeling that something is true is just as valid and worthwhile as proving something is true. I've been told all my life that two plus two is 4, but I have a feeling that two plus two is six hundred and four. As far as I'm concerned, my conclusion is just as plausible as theirs.

Elkgrin

[END SARCASM]

Fascinating LOL

Chase Wrote:I like to go by what the theoretical physicists Richard Feynman had to say:
“I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of uncertainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure of anything and there are many things I don't know anything about, such as whether it means anything to ask why we're here. I don't have to know an answer. I don't feel frightened not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell.”
- Richard P. Feynman

I love that sentiment. If I could spread a message to the world it would be that.

"Hey everyone! Gather 'round. It's okay NOT to know. Don't be scared. Uncertainty stimulates curiosity and thus examination which may lead to answers, or it may not, and that's okay too. I understand that uncertainty may make you feel anxious, but that's no reason to just start making shit up. That's... weird."

Wade Wrote:[SARCASM]

Elkgrin

[END SARCASM]

Fuck you, I'm just doing what I've been programmed to do: saying things that at first glance might look kind of substantial maybe sort of Tongue
Besides you don't need the sarcasm boxes anymore. We're cool.

Kiid Wrote:Such as -.-?

Telling 5 year old Johnny his mother died peacefully in bed when in reality she was tortured to death over the course of 2 months maybe. Stuff like that. Perhaps things like santa too but I'm honestly not too sure how I feel about that... I don't think I'll lie to my child about him personally but eh.

Your policy is really good though. I wish I could be one of those "brutally honest" but nice types. If someone asks "Do I look fat" in this dress they should be able to expect an honest answer but since I don't want to offend anyone I'd always say no.

SolemnBoy Wrote:I wish I could be one of those "brutally honest" but nice types. If someone asks "Do I look fat" in this dress they should be able to expect an honest answer but since I don't want to offend anyone I'd always say no.

After you say 'NO' you can say to yourself under your breath while stil smiling, something like "No, it's the whole chicken you had for dinner and kilo of chocolate and 1 litre of icecream you had for desert that makes your arse so huge"

So then technically you aren't really lying