Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Job interview tomorrow!
And I couldn't be any more nervous! It's for a real job, rather than a fast food job or retail (no offense to anyone who works at these places. I know the pain you go through) I'm so scared. It will be a 30 minute interview, with 4 test afterwards. I know I will do well on most of the tests, and am worried about one using Excel. I have practiced, but I've never needed to use it before, and find it odd to have to use if for an editing job.

Wish me luck everyone!

I believe that in the interview you will Excel. Haha... haha... hah... *sigh*

I'm so sorry.

There are a lot of things you can do with Excel...for instance, you can create a shared notebook and store it on your network...this enables you and others to do joint editing. Actually, asking the interviewer about the specific uses of Excel would be a good question...

As for the interview...I just went through interviewing people for a secretarial position at work and the guy I ended up hiring impressed me because he engaged...he didn't just sit there and speak when spoken to, he asked a few questions and made some comments that showed me he was really interested. That being said, I also had a woman who wouldn't let me get a word in edgewise lol...moderation in all things.

Of course, it also helps if you're not late, don't show up in sneakers or a Saliva T shirt, don't chew gum or call the interviewer "Dude" or ask him how a boy his age got to be in charge of anything lol...and no, I'm not exaggerating..

It's also good to do your homework and find out a bit about the company...if an interviewer asks, Do you know what we do here? a good answer is NOT, Ummm...isn't it some kind of architects?

Relax a bit if you can and just be yourself. ...Good Luck, and let us know how it goes!!

Story time!

I interviewed once for some job being a directTV salesman at a kiosk in the mall. I dressed up real nice, showed up early... the whole thing. The very nice interviewing lady asked me two questions. I can't remember the first. My answer was acceptable, I think. The second question was "what do you want from an employer?" When she said that my mind was flooded with one single thought. It was "Just pay me and don't be a dick." It just kept repeating in my head over and over. I couldn't form any other thought.

The very nice interviewing lady smiled and waited patiently as I looked desperately and wildly about the room trying to come up with any answer other than the honest one. I know I said a lot of "uhhh..." and "ummm..." but no actual words came out of my mouth. I can't remember how long it must have been, I want to say 30 seconds, but memory distorts theses things, I know. Finally I just said "I'm sorry, I can't think of anything." She said "Okay, thank you." And that was the end of the interview. Whole thing lasted a couple minutes maybe. Needless to say, I didn't get the job.

Lesson is... don't do that. Say words when someone asks you a question.

Here is some advice. I have had training doing job interviews (although I still screw up, lol).

Look them in the eye. Don't look around the desk or at your hands and feet.

Smile. Don't act nervous. But don't act like a cocky dick and assume you got the job.

Do not guess on answers you don't know. Just say I do not know. Lots of interviewers will ask you tech or questions relating to the job. They even try to ask you questions that they are sure you do not know. If you do not know these answers do not fret. They generally prefer someone who will say that they do not know this rather than someone making bullshit up. (Note: This doesn't apply when the question is about your employment, like Wade learned.)

Dress well, but stand out. Do not wear anything obnoxious, but do not wear the traditional white shirt and slacks. Lots of people come in with white shirt and slacks. You want to stand out. Do not wear dark shirts as dark is associated with gloomy. A nice blue or green shirt or tie may get you remembered in case there is a second interview.

Don't fret on any trick questions that they ask you. I was asked what is my spirit animal in an interview as well as if I believed in space aliens. They want to see how you will act when something comes along that you weren't prepared for.

Ask them questions. At the end of the interview make sure that you ask them questions. If you don't it looks like that you don't really want the job and will take anything. Make sure these questions have nothing to do with your benefits or pay. Don't ask the same tired questions that everyone asks. I like to ask things that make the interviewer think like what is it that you like here? Or What skills do you think I should learn to better qualify for this position? That makes the interviewer think that you really want to learn it and not just phoning it in.

Anyway good luck.

Good luck!!!
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

g00d luck!

Hope it goes well for you. Let us know...

Good luck I hope it goes well. Smile
An eye for an eye

Luck!

padpadpadpad