Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Food from the 20th century
I found a few recipe books that i apparently bought from garage sales and book fairs. One of them is a gigantic collection of 'healthy' cooking from the late twentieth century.

I don't know what the hell is wrong with almost every cookbook from this era.

o_o Did all the food stylists die and burn their cameras or something.

You know what I'm talking about, that weird colour filter or whatever that plagued the domestic cookery world for a few decades.
The style that makes everything look like its made of budget-brand candles and poor bathroom ambience.
http://www.core77.com/blog/object_cultur..._10363.asp
Oh my god! Look at that salmon! XD

Apart from that, what was with that century and gelatinising EVERYTHING. In this 'Light and Easy cookbook" I found Trout in aspic which looks like those shiny plastic food models that they have in japanese casual dining restaurants. They really felt the need to congeal.

xD

And what the crap are junket tablets.

And I love the sad attempts at ethnic cuisine. In this recipe for 'Chinese Meatballs' it calls for a 'dash of Szechwan sauce' or chili or tabasco xD What the hell is Szechwan sauce!? It's not even spelt that way anymore!

I do love how stupidly rich some recipes are. In another book, there was just cheesepots. It was just cheese. In pots. I wish I had lived more than 5 years in that century.

I love looking at these dated old things. They're so fun.

Make some om nom nom bread

I am not making that salmon. I refuse to cook an animal to make it look like a bloated cartoon version of itself with cheese sauce for skin.

O_O I have to try dig out some old Hong Kong recipes for 'western food' which in cantonese basically meant covered in mayonnaise. They'll be brilliant xD.

That salmon is hilarious. If I made it there would be a mayonnaise speech bubble saying something rude.

Junket tablets are rennet in tablet form, you can still get them

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Junket-rennet-ta...B000KB9WL2

Since you ask, I'm particularly partial to prawn cocktail, a well done steak and black forest gateaux. A nice bottle of Mateus Rosé to wash it down, pure class.

Seriously, though, I've got an excellent Jamie Oliver recipe; boil him.

Oh my god look at those bananas!

http://awfullibrarybooks.net/wp-content/...stines.jpg

O_O Stahp. now.

(And they did stop! thank goodness)

Those bananas need help! They look like some kind of animal penis.