Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For photo and 'plane lovers: The Spitfire
This really comes under both categories since the photos are stunning and the aeroplanes are also. Probably the best photos of the Spitfire that I have ever seen.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...amera.html
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

And no Stukas? Oh the dissapointment.

Good pictures indeed! Smile
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

Insertnamehere Wrote:And no Stukas? Oh the dissapointment.

Good pictures indeed! Smile

Stukas just weren't in the same class.

LONDONER Wrote:Stukas just weren't in the same class.

Meh, they did the job fairly well Biglaugh

Those pictures, though, are something else. I had not seen such good quality for that time until now, I think.

Insertnamehere Wrote:Meh, they did the job fairly well Biglaugh

Those pictures, though, are something else. I had not seen such good quality for that time until now, I think.

The Spitfires and Hurricanes were pivotal in winning WWII. There was one other also whose name eludes me in this precise moment. The Mosquito?

^ Winning WWII? I wouldn't go that far.

They were pivotal to keep them Nazis off British airspace, yes, and keeping Britain free of the Wehrmacht had its fair use.

But what killed the Luftwaffe later on in the war was mostly oil shortage. And by then the Russians were destroying Germans by the Army Group.

Technicalities aside, I'm intrigued by this third aircraft you speak of, I will look into it!

Insertnamehere Wrote:Technicalities aside, I'm intrigued by this third aircraft you speak of, I will look into it!

There was a very interesting programme on the BBC some months ago about the Mosquito. The presenter claimed that it was just as important if not more so than the Spitfire. Unfortunately the UK doesn't have a single working example and the example used in the programme had been restored by an American millionaire. Not sure if I still have the programme recorded on my DVD recorder and I can't check out until I get home sometime in July but if it's still there Insertnamehere, I could send you a copy if you're interested.

LONDONER Wrote:There was a very interesting programme on the BBC some months ago about the Mosquito. The presenter claimed that it was just as important if not more so than the Spitfire. Unfortunately the UK doesn't have a single working example and the example used in the programme had been restored by an American millionaire. Not sure if I still have the programme recorded on my DVD recorder and I can't check out until I get home sometime in July but if it's still there Insertnamehere, I could send you a copy if you're interested.

I would definitely be interested in that, if you still have it! Thanks!

Insertnamehere Wrote:I would definitely be interested in that, if you still have it! Thanks!

OK although you'll have to wait awhile since I don't expect to be home until mid July or August.

Oh yes, that's fine.