Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gay and Transvestite
Yea that's true, but I'm talking about the women who get paid less for the same job as a man.

Are there many women left in that position, certainly not in the UK.

Women are often paid less for equivalent work, they pay heavily for flexible working arrangements and working part-time.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Yea, you're right. Most of the disparity likely comes from that--women opting for lower-paying jobs, because of lifestyle choices.

There are a lot of variables... women aren't demanded (by the public/consumers) as much as men in many industries, so that certainly hurts them in the statistics.

I still think women are faced with bigger challenges in life than men 9 times out of 10.

here in the Philippines, (or at least the current and previous jobs that I have), most of the senior/top managers are/were females. the ratio of men to women would be like about 3:10 respectively....

SrChulo Wrote:??? do you have a source for that? Women make significantly less than man across the board, in general.

Yes Confusedmile:

Edit: It won't let me insert a link because I don't have 20+ posts. Search Google for "ted.org new data on the rise of women" to see a professor give a talk at a TED women conference. TED is popular intellectual conference thing that covers many interesting topics.

Don't get me wrong - it's specific to single mothers with college educations and it only emerged this year. Maybe it's a fluke and simply due to the economy or so many traditional male jobs moving over seas or immigrant workers taking the jobs. But, over all, I think there is a clear pattern of women working their way up in the world.

SrChulo Wrote:This is still a man's world. Not necessarily a gay man's world, but a man's world nonetheless. Yea, it sucks and it's not fair. I'm surprised to hear people think that women have it better. They have to fight a lot harder for jobs, respect, pay, a mate-- yes, as women get older they tend to have a harder time settling down. The same can not really be said for men, or not to the same extent.

Oh I don't doubt that it's still a man's world, but the tides are shifting. A LOT of universities are getting scared because their female:male admittance ratio is well over 50:50. Some places are seeing numbers approach 70:30 and they know it's going to hinder the number of women applying because girls want to meet boys at school.

SrChulo Wrote:And they have to sit down to pee.

I see nothing wrong with that :eek: but I'm a bit jealous of their anatomy.

SrChulo Wrote:??? do you have a source for that? Women make significantly less than man across the board, in general.

Yes Confusedmile: Because of my low post count I can't make links, but you can search Google for Hana Rosin: New data on the rise of women.

Don't get me wrong - it's specific to single mothers with college educations and it only emerged this year. Maybe it's a fluke and simply due to the economy or so many traditional male jobs moving over seas or immigrant workers taking the jobs. But, over all, I think there is a clear pattern of women working their way up in the world.

SrChulo Wrote:This is still a man's world. Not necessarily a gay man's world, but a man's world nonetheless. Yea, it sucks and it's not fair. I'm surprised to hear people think that women have it better. They have to fight a lot harder for jobs, respect, pay, a mate-- yes, as women get older they tend to have a harder time settling down. The same can not really be said for men, or not to the same extent.

Oh I don't doubt that it's still a man's world, but the tides are shifting. A LOT of universities are getting scared because their female:male admittance ratio is well over 50:50. Some places are seeing numbers approach 70:30 and they know it's going to hinder the number of women applying because girls want to meet boys at school.

SrChulo Wrote:And they have to sit down to pee.

I see nothing wrong with that :eek: but I'm a bit jealous of their anatomy.

SrChulo Wrote:Yea that's true, but I'm talking about the women who get paid less for the same job as a man.

I think it really depends what that job is. You'd be absolutely correct for factory jobs and anything that requires less than a 4 year university degree. But we're starting to see a major shift in fields that require higher education achievement because women are doing better than men.

SrChulo Wrote:Yea, you're right. Most of the disparity likely comes from that--women opting for lower-paying jobs, because of lifestyle choices.

There are a lot of variables... women aren't demanded (by the public/consumers) as much as men in many industries, so that certainly hurts them in the statistics.

I still think women are faced with bigger challenges in life than men 9 times out of 10.

You're certainly right about needing more flexible jobs hurting womens' income.

But I don't think it's fair to say they face more challenges in life 9 out of 10 times. If you're talking about factory jobs or anything that doesn't require much education, then you're dead on.

It's a whole different ball game when you get to the university degree level. Females are earning significantly more bachelor's, master's, and doctoral level degrees than men. Of course, women are well behind men in areas like math, engineering, chemistry, and physics. But in almost every other area there are lots more of em.

My field is academics and let me tell you that almost 70% of students working on Ph.D.s in psychology are female. And I don't just mean counseling or clinical psychology - this is even true for neuroscience grad students. Psychology departments employ people working on molecular biology, genetics, etc and the majority of their grad students are female. And they still have preferential admission rates in many schools.

In terms of pay for academics, hmm well that I don't know. I do know for new professors seeking tenure (you're fired if you don't get within 7 years of them hiring you) women do face some trouble because of kids, etc. They either have to fight to delay the 7 year time clock or have to work mega hard to get enough publications done in 7 years while still having their kids.

So don't get me wrong - women face lots of things in many areas of life. But we're seeing big time changes and when it comes to jobs that require university degrees, women are really taking men over. Note that I've been very, very specific about stating this is currently true only for women with 4+ year degrees.

This is still a man's world. Not necessarily a gay man's world, but a man's world nonetheless. Yea, it sucks and it's not fair. I'm surprised to hear people think that women have it better. They have to fight a lot harder for jobs, respect, pay, a mate-- yes, as women get older they tend to have a harder time settling down. The same can not really be said for men, or not to the same extent.

As Jack Donaghy once said to Liz Lemon, "women your age have a higher chance of getting mauled at the zoo than getting married."

Lol. But seriously. And they have to sit down to pee.

you hear this all the time,and not meaning to sound rude but it does seem it just gets repeated even if it is not true.

we get told all the time that women have it harder being a housewife! really? kids at school for 8 hours in bed for 10,out playing for a few hours,doesn't leave much time,wonder whos watching all the day time TV,and then moan that the men doesn't help with the cleaning? sorry but shoudn't that have been done alreally,no house takes that much cleaning,where after the man comes home the house work still needs to be done,as for men, try working if you dont feel like it day in, day out,working with a boss you don't get on with,digging holes in the road etc they can't just sit down and watch a bit of TV when the mood takes them,and as for women that work,there are laws that say a women has to get the same pay,I've yet to see a job saying women get this much but men get more,it's only really in the last few years that women have started and wanted to go out to work,so they cant expect it to be a 50/50 split in the work force,it takes time for that it happen,here in the UK women can retire at 60 but men at 65? makes real sense when men on average die something like 5-8 years sooner than women,a woman in my job has just left to have a baby,as soon as she new she was pregnant she said she could no longer do her full job,even though it was not a demanding job,now after having the child she gets upto a year off,mostly paid too.
next time I see a man working, digging up the road or my bin men running behind the truck I'll check with him because for some unknow reason it will be a him and ask if he thinks women are worse off than him,sorry but I just can't see how it's a mans world.