Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gay and racist?
Dreamer, I respect your opinions, but can I ask why are you bringing this up here? Are we racist here on GS? I believe we have been welcoming to everyone who has joined.

I understand that you have a concern about this, but really the way you are going about this is childish. It would be good to perhaps flesh out your thoughts and be more ready to accept what others say. I don't want to see more threads go down the path of anger, but rather have thread bring forth ideas worth discussing.

I hope we can figure this out.

Racism definitely exists in individuals within gay community and it is not confined to just one race...the key word is "individuals"...

Both racism and homophobia that is both internalized and externalized exists across the board in individuals and the only way to overcome it is for each individual to challenge themselves to hold themselves to a greater standard.

Personally I love this quote from Coretta Scott King.....

"We are all tied together in a single garment of destiny . . . I can never be what I ought to be until you are allowed to be what you ought to be," she said, quoting her husband. "I've always felt that homophobic attitudes and policies were unjust and unworthy of a free society and must be opposed by all Americans who believe in democracy,"

and

"Homophobia is like racism and anti-Semitism and other forms of bigotry in that it seeks to dehumanize a large group of people, to deny their humanity, their dignity and personhood," King stated. "This sets the stage for further repression and violence that spread all too easily to victimize the next minority group."

simon Wrote:I sorry if you had a bad experience.

there is good and bad in every walk of life,of course that includes racists in the gay community,both ways,blacks towards whites and whites towards blacks,but I believe that the gay community is also a lot more accepting of differences,we are gay not a totally different species so lets not expect such a higher standard but be proud we are just that bit more accepting.

I disagree, we SHOULD have a higher standard because we are gay! We know what it feels like to be rejected, hated, and abused by those around us, that being the reason why some of us are more accepting and understanding than heterosexuals. That's where our compassion comes from; our struggle. Those who are gay, regardless of race should have matured to a level of understanding all forms of equality as well, since they fight so hard for gay equality.

XRIMO Wrote:Dreamer, I respect your opinions, but can I ask why are you bringing this up here? Are we racist here on GS? I believe we have been welcoming to everyone who has joined.

I'm bringing it up to start a general conversation, it has nothing to do with this site.

I agree too,and think we are more accepting but we all don't have the same experiences,some gay people have experienced very little homophobia,I for one have been lucky,I have hardly experienced any and also live in an area that is almost all white, so if we apply your standards to me I should be no more accepting than the average person because I have not went though the "struggle",but I think being gay does make one more understanding even without having had to have had bad experiences,all I saying is I think we as a group are more accepting,maybe your experience, which sounds like it is still raw, is clouding this but being more accepting is not the same as having no rasists in the gay community.

Racism is learned. Homosexuality isn't.

Good topic and good conversation

I think most racism comes about from how we were raised and experiences growing up. I think it woud be great for everyone to get out of their comfort zone and just hang out with people from a different race to expand their horizons.

I honestly think that everyone has a bit of racism within themselves due to lack of interactions with other races (maybe ignorance is a better word). I think it's healthy actually to admit to yourself that you are racist (ignorant) as long as you are willing to be open minded and sample the various flavors out there.

I believe many people are quick to accuse others of racism putting them immediately on the defensive. I agree that gays should be more open minded and less tolerant of racism but in reality it's a bit more complicated. The "tribes" have been separated for thousands of years and it will still take many more to sort out. All we can really do is strive to be part of the solution and not the problem. What are some positive actions that be taken to encourage a paradigm shift?

Jfierce Wrote:Good topic and good conversation

I think most racism comes about from how we were raised and experiences growing up. I think it woud be great for everyone to get out of their comfort zone and just hang out with people from a different race to expand their horizons.

I honestly think that everyone has a bit of racism within themselves due to lack of interactions with other races (maybe ignorance is a better word). I think it's healthy actually to admit to yourself that you are racist (ignorant) as long as you are willing to be open minded and sample the various flavors out there.

I believe many people are quick to accuse others of racism putting them immediately on the defensive. I agree that gays should be more open minded and less tolerant of racism but in reality it's a bit more complicated. The "tribes" have been separated for thousands of years and it will still take many more to sort out. All we can really do is strive to be part of the solution and not the problem. What are some positive actions that be taken to encourage a paradigm shift?

I agree with most of that but words have meaning and racism is racism,ignorance may be part of racism but you can't use the words interchangeably.

simon Wrote:I agree too,and think we are more accepting but we all don't have the same experiences,some gay people have experienced very little homophobia,I for one have been lucky,I have hardly experienced any and also live in an area that is almost all white, so if we apply your standards to me I should be no more accepting than the average person because I have not went though the "struggle",but I think being gay does make one more understanding even without having had to have had bad experiences,all I saying is I think we as a group are more accepting,maybe your experience, which sounds like it is still raw, is clouding this but being more accepting is not the same as having no rasists in the gay community.

I apologize for my lack of specifications. I'm not talking about my personal experience. Also, when I stated, "we" and "us", I wasn't imposing every singular being that happens to be gay. I know everyone has a different upbringing, and experiences. I know that. The "struggle", imposes stonewall and gay history altogether; when it comes to where "we" (as a gay community, not individuality) have come from to where we are today. All I'm saying is that there needs to be more comradery between all races, and an end to hypocrisy.

My message: Don't ask for an end to gay bias, when you have bias onto other gays for the color of their skin...

I know racism will always exist, and sometimes even gays don't want to escape their racist mindset and upbringing. I'm sure it's hard to break away from all that one has ever known. I know gays can be ignorant too. I'm just calling for a stop to it because it's purely idiotic, and self destructive to the gay community as a whole, we already have enough odds against us, why add to that?

Jfierce Wrote:What are some positive actions that be taken to encourage a paradigm shift?

Jfierce Wrote:I think it woud be great for everyone to get out of their comfort zone and just hang out with people from a different race to expand their horizons.

That's a good start, I think you kind of answered your own question, lol

But how do people even get to that point of overcoming their irrational fears to even fathom the thought of interacting with a race they've been bred to dislike?

Where's Dr. Phil when you need him?