Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gay blood donations ban likely to be lifted?
Gay people couldn't donate blood in the UK??

Damn. People sure are stupid, aren't they? I mean...couldn't that rule have potentially cost some people their lives?

Gays are roughly 20 times more likely to have HIV than straights, and the undetectable window period for HIV means allowing gays to donate will increase the number of patients contracting HIV from blood transfusions. I don't like the policy, but it makes mathematical sense.

They don't let straights who sleep with prostitutes, or those who regularly visit certain African nations, donate for the same reason.

Ironic, because I can legally collect your blood, test it for disease, and crossmatch it into a patient...but I'm not allowed to donate.

MysteryGuest Wrote:Gay people couldn't donate blood in the UK??

Damn. People sure are stupid, aren't they? I mean...couldn't that rule have potentially cost some people their lives?
Fewer lives than would be lost if an HIV-blood-panic causes people to refuse transfusions.

cloud999 Wrote:They don't let straights who sleep with prostitutes, or those who regularly visit certain African nations, donate for the same reason.

But that is not an outright ban. There is a "cooling off period". After a period of time you can donate again.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I thought they had to wait until after the undetectable window for HIV and THEN test the blood before they used it for a transfusion anyway.:confused:
Silly Sarcastic So-and-so

I've given over 50 pints of blood and I've not a clue how it works??? :confused::confused:

Genersis Wrote:I thought they had to wait until after the undetectable window for HIV and THEN test the blood before they used it for a transfusion anyway.:confused:
Blood expires quickly...it lasts for just 15-42 days after donation, depending on the preservative used. The window period for routine HIV screening is currently 60 days...so even the best-preserved blood will expire long before the HIV window closes.

Hence, why donation centers go to great lengths to exclude people who are at high risk for undiagnosed HIV infections.

colinmackay Wrote:But that is not an outright ban. There is a "cooling off period". After a period of time you can donate again.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Not necessarily. There are strict regulations set in place for those who live in Africa for an extended period of time. Some deferrment periods can be permanent just for living in Africa. While I don't agree with the consensus of permanently deferring "men who have sex with other men", the overall thought process is to ensure the safety of the blood supply.
Has anyone read a list of questions from a Donor Questionare?
They are very personal and try to cover a variety of topics. It's rather interesting to say the least.
P.S. I'm aware the topic is old but I could not resist since I covered this topic in class this week :biggrin:

cloud999 Wrote:Blood expires quickly...it lasts for just 15-42 days after donation, depending on the preservative used. The window period for routine HIV screening is currently 60 days...so even the best-preserved blood will expire long before the HIV window closes.

Hence, why donation centers go to great lengths to exclude people who are at high risk for undiagnosed HIV infections.

Hey Cloud. You seem to be well informed in Whole Blood and Blood products. Do you work at a blood bank, as a Lab Scientist?

No one in canada who has had sex with their own sex can give blood in Canada. I know that some are working to get the ban lifted but so far it hasn't worked. The organization who one collected blood when there were no rules was sued. They no longer collect blood. A new government agency was set up after this to collect the blood. I feel there are likely a lot of people lieing when they give blood. Asking questions is by no means fool proof testing of the blood is the only way. HIV is NOT exclusive to Gays! Lots of Bi and straight people who are HIV positive as well.