Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gay 'holding hands in public' campaign goes monthly
[img2=left]http://www.gayspeak.com/forum/images/news/holdinghands.jpg[/img2]A Day in Hand, the campaign to encourage LGBT people to hold hands in public, is asking them to show their affection publicly on the last Saturday of each month.

The first Sshh! (same-sex hand-holding) Saturday will be on September 26th, to remember July's shooting at a gay bar in Tel Aviv, Israel.

The campaign has received the backing of a number of celebrities such as mayor of London Boris Johnson, Peter Tatchell and Boy George and is an attempt to allow gay, bisexual and trans people to feel more comfortable in public.

A Day In Hand founder David Watkins is trying to make Sshh! Saturdays a worldwide event and is asking people to uphold photos of themselves holding hands to [email protected].

He said: "Sshh! Saturdays aims to ultimately create safer spaces for LGBT people. As the idea of Sshh! Saturdays grow in popularity and spread across the world, the last Saturday of every month will become a day of support for LGBT people who want to show their commitment in public. Many years ago in the UK, LGBT people knew that the last carriage of every train would be populated by members of the queer community. Today, A Day In Hand wants people to feel the same sense of support in public spaces on the last Saturday of every month."

He continued: "Same-sex hand-holding (Sshh!) is a silent revolution for LGBT people, because nothing needs to be said: no bold speeches, no reactive arguments, no war of words. Each LGBT person has the power to change the hearts and minds of people in their local community quietly, subtly, by simply holding hands publicly and owning their space. However, hand-holding is a simple powerful gesture that can happen anywhere, at any time."

For those who live in areas where same-sex affection is public is not safe, Watkins stressed that the campaign was not asking people to ignore their "survival instincts".

Instead, he said: "We are asking people to think about public displays of affection in more creative, less obtrusive ways. If you can’t hold hands in your immediate area, how about resting your head on your partner’s shoulder at the cinema, or kissing them good-bye in the car? We have to start expressing our love in the mainstream."

[Image: Eminem+holding+hands+with+Elton+John+at+...+photo.jpg]
Eminem and Elton holding hands at the 2001 Grammys :-)
Note: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant free message. However, I do concede, a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Andy Wrote:[Image: Eminem+holding+hands+with+Elton+John+at+...+photo.jpg]
Eminem and Elton holding hands at the 2001 Grammys :-)
... the facial expressions and the body language speak volumes Rolleyes

Holding hands in public is never acceptable for ANY pair, unless one of them is blind or a small child. Yuck.

I shall continue my judgement of all PDA.

[SIZE="1"]I hold hands with my straight best friend in public all the time. No one ever thinks anything of it.
Although I do live in the gayest city in the UK.[/SIZE]

sox-and-the-city Wrote:Holding hands in public is never acceptable for ANY pair, unless one of them is blind or a small child. Yuck.

lolololRoflmao

sox-and-the-city Wrote:Holding hands in public is never acceptable for ANY pair, unless one of them is blind or a small child. Yuck.

What a pity! Here's a PDA for you, sox - Remybussi

marshlander Wrote:What a pity! Here's a PDA for you, sox - Remybussi

Marshy!! I shall be writing a very stern letter to the committee indeed...

Why are you so against such a wholesome public demonstration of Affection as holding hands, Soxy? I could understand a smooch being unseemly, but just holding a hand is not very blatant, is it?

But it is, it's nasty. You may well be in love but the rest of the world doesn't care. The rest of the world is probably, oh i don't know, say out on their half hour lunch break and thus in a hurry and probably resents the inordinately large amount of a space a hand-holding couple takes up on the pavement as they try to weave through. It's cringemaking. Besides i you're THAT secure in a relationship you won't feel this pathological need to have it on display the whole time. Lord knows i never have.

I resent hand holding particularly because it IS so innocuous, it's a tepid expression of emotion at best, so why bother with it?? If holding hands is the only way a couple has to show they're together and how much they love each other then they're probably so boring they make Alan Titchmarsh look dangerously unhinged.

Such insipidity isn't for true romantics, nor those who want to make a real statment and it's definitely not for me.

I REALLY don't like PDA, okay?? It's my pet hate. That and question talkers. And laugh talkers, they can all die a horrible, painful death too.

sox-and-the-city Wrote:... You may well be in love but the rest of the world doesn't care ...
That's good, because for a moment there ... Wink
sox-and-the-city Wrote:Such insipidity isn't for true romantics, nor those who want to make a real statment and it's definitely not for me ...
It clearly is not for you. That's okay. Not all of us aspire to be Byronic heroes. Holding hands is a simple enough gesture towards the person one is with. It's people who make an issue of it who turn it into something else Rolleyes