Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Germans gays and lesbians allowed to marry! Yay!
Germany is to allow gays and lesbians to marry after the vote was won in parliament's lower chamber. This will probably only be effective in a few months.
There are probably better articles in the American or European press, but here's what I've got for the moment.
http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2017/06/30/ger...content=MN

http://time.com/4840881/germany-same-sex...age-legal/

That's brilliant news!
An eye for an eye

On the same day when same-sex marriage has been legalized in Germany, a document concerning censorship has been issued by the authority in China, saying that no homosexual/homosocial content shall be broadcast via audio/visual programs through the internet or other information network. It is quite ironic to hear the news on the very last day of the pride month. I wonder if China will be the next Chechnya
生年不满百,
常怀千岁忧。
昼短苦夜长,
何不秉烛游。

Alvin Wrote:On the same day when same-sex marriage has been legalized in Germany, a document concerning censorship has been issued by the authority in China, saying that no homosexual/homosocial content shall be broadcast via audio/visual programs through the internet or other information network. It is quite ironic to hear the news on the very last day of the pride month. I wonder if China will be the next Chechnya

What is with this west-east divide on gay rights?

TigerLover Wrote:What is with this west-east divide on gay rights?

Because China is, socially, stuck in the past. It's the reason why, as I have said in a totally unrelated post, the Chinese still believe that tiger bones and rhinoceros horns have medicinal properties.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

TigerLover Wrote:What is with this west-east divide on gay rights?

I assume it's because of the aging population. The Chinese government wants baby boom that will guarantee a sustainable development for this country. Ironically, while so many gay and lesbian couple here want to adopt kids , it is impossible to do so since same-sex marriage is not legalized--hence no right to adopt. Even more ironically, just because homosexual is censored doesn't mean we don't exist.
生年不满百,
常怀千岁忧。
昼短苦夜长,
何不秉烛游。

LONDONER Wrote:Because China is, socially, stuck in the past. It's the reason why, as I have said in a totally unrelated post, the Chinese still believe that tiger bones and rhinoceros horns have medicinal properties.

That might fall prey to overgeneralization. Not all the Chinese believe in that. Even my dad finds it ridiculous. Most people in my age are, if not underrepresented, misrepresented. Yet, I partially agree with your statement that China (the government, to be more exact) is sort of stuck in the past since it endeavors to maintain stability. Due to this, majority overwhelms minority.
生年不满百,
常怀千岁忧。
昼短苦夜长,
何不秉烛游。

Alvin Wrote:That might fall prey to overgeneralization. Not all the Chinese believe in that. Even my dad finds it ridiculous. Most people in my age are, if not underrepresented, misrepresented. Yet, I partially agree with your statement that China (the government, to be more exact) is sort of stuck in the past since it endeavors to maintain stability. Due to this, majority overwhelms minority.

Thank you [MENTION=24431]Alvin[/MENTION]. Yes, it is a bit of over genersalisation I agree, but you get the general gist of what I wanted to say; that so many people who believe in the medicinal powers of animal parts (I forgot to include bear's spleen) are more likely to be stuck in the past and resistant to change.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

Alvin Wrote:On the same day when same-sex marriage has been legalized in Germany, a document concerning censorship has been issued by the authority in China, saying that no homosexual/homosocial content shall be broadcast via audio/visual programs through the internet or other information network. It is quite ironic to hear the news on the very last day of the pride month. I wonder if China will be the next Chechnya

Depends...

Civil Rights won in various parts of the world was done in a semi- to totally bloody manner.

I would hate to think what would happen if one billion Chinese People sat down and said no.

Like that fella in Tiananmen Square of 1989.

Just one man stopped a tank, I wonder what a billion would do to stop their government.