Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Going on PrEP
I'm 19 and I've recently came out to my parents. With that I'm interested in going on PrEP (for obvious reasons). The only problem is that my parents would not approve of that. My question is, is that even though I'm a legal adult, I'm still on my parents health insurance, so do I have to go through them in order to get a prescription for PrEP?

I don't know anything about US health insurance policies.

But please remember that PrEP is not a substitute for condoms. It's an added layer of protection. Play safe.

tgerm Wrote:I'm 19 and I've recently came out to my parents. With that I'm interested in going on PrEP (for obvious reasons). The only problem is that my parents would not approve of that. My question is, is that even though I'm a legal adult, I'm still on my parents health insurance, so do I have to go through them in order to get a prescription for PrEP?

No, you should be able to go to a public health clinic and discuss HIV prevention with them, including the possibility of going on PrEP. I think you will find that they are more interested in prevention than in getting money from your health insurer, and you can explain why you can't do it through your parents' insurance.

Assuming you're in Canon OH:
Canton City
Health Department
James M. Adams, RS, MPH
Health Commissioner
(330) 489-3231
(330) 489-3335 Fax
Hours: Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
(Excluding Holidays)

Office Address
Canton City Health Department
420 Market Avenue, North
Canton, Ohio 44702

Call them and make an appointment. If you are sexually active it's important to educate yourself and get tested regularly. Sounds like you're already thinking about this, so kudos to you!

Cuddly Wrote:I don't know anything about US health insurance policies.

But please remember that PrEP is not a substitute for condoms. It's an added layer of protection. Play safe.

[SIZE="4"]What Cuddly is saying is the PrEP is just one layer of protection against HIV, it does not protect against any of the multiple STDs. For instance, take a look at these:

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/36229547/n...next-superbug/

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2011/07July/P...i-warning.aspx[/SIZE]
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

LONDONER Wrote:[SIZE="4"]What Cuddly is saying is the PrEP is just one layer of protection against HIV, it does not protect against any of the multiple STDs. For instance, take a look at these:

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/36229547/n...next-superbug/

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2011/07July/P...i-warning.aspx[/SIZE]

There are also PrEP resistant strains of HIV.

First, tell us what the obvious reasons are they you want to start Prep, please.

He's 19 he wants to play the field, [MENTION=21957]Darius[/MENTION], is probably the best explanation. But [MENTION=24597]tgerm[/MENTION], do take your sexual health seriously. It'll be better for all concerned including yourself. You are too young to burden yourself with a life of taking pills. Oh, and vaccination against hepatitis is also a good idea, it would seem. Discuss it with your health clinic doctor or consultant.

Thanks for all of your help, especially [MENTION=20941]Camfer[/MENTION]! Even though I just came out to my parents, I have researched and studied the risks of HIVs and STDs in the gay community and I do understand that PrEP doesn't totally prevent HIVs, just as birth control doesn't totally prevent pregnancy. I'm not really looking to hoe around, I just want to be able to talk to a doctor without my parents having to get involved! Again thank you for all of your help, my question has been answered!!