Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grace & Frankie
Is anybody else watching the new Netflix series Grace & Frankie? It is pretty good IMHO.

The premise: Two long-married couples (played by Sam Watterson & Lily Tomlin, and Jane Fonda & Martin Sheen). The husbands are law partners, and in the first episode they tell their wives they have been having an affair for 20 years, and are leaving their wives for each other!

The wives could not be more different: Tomlin's character is a pot-smoking earth-mother type, very direct and transparent, while Fonda plays a society wife type, who has always done what she thought she was "Supposed to". They have always endured each other for the sake of their husbands' business and friendship, but are now forced to support each other through their common loss.

The husbands are pretty believable as a gay couple, without going the over-the-top Mitch-Cam or Albert-Armond route for laughs. Tomlin's character has shades of Edina Monsoon (from her outfits and flamboyant practice of new age religious rituals) but is ultimately the most sympathetic of the four.

I've watched two so far and think it is brilliant. Curious if anybody else has checked it out.

Of course I have checked It out. Lily Tomlin is my favorite celebrity ...ever...always has been...and she is the only person who has the power to get me to the Box Office...or the TV Screen...just because she is in it. I have seen everything she has done. She is my "gay role model" as well....because she made it a non issue at a time when it was rare...I love her for that....

As for the show...brilliant...and every single cast member is brilliant as well. Tomlin plays particularly well with Fonda....

I eagerly await the next installment....hopefully it will be around for many more years...

Love it! There's some great dialogue and the fact that the characters are mature, seasoned adults is brilliant. It's being produced by Marta Kaufman, who created Friends, and that would have been enough to get me to watch it.

I don't get a lot of time to watch movies, TV, etc. --- but I'll make time for this!

Pyromancer Wrote:I don't get a lot of time to watch movies, TV, etc. --- but I'll make time for this!

Same here... I don't make time for it, is more accurate. But I definitely want to watch the rest of this. Anybody else watching either Kimmy Schmidt or DTLA? I watched a few of the former under duress by my sister, and it is amusing. Curious about the latter after reading the description on Netflix.

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was just renewed for another season....

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this show...it is a wet dream for me. Lily Tomlin in every episode...and everyone else as well...and it is gay themed...

I have a tough time enjoying anything with Lily Tomlin after I saw this:

Wade Wrote:I have a tough time enjoying anything with Lily Tomlin after I saw this:

LOL...yeah...the meltdown. I was laughing the whole time because I kinda lived vicariously through her when she was chewing someone out for not being professional and "showing up" ....because I let it slide sooooo many times and spent days bitching about it to myself.