Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Graduating at a later age
I am currently 25 and still have 2 more years to complete my degree. So, I will only get my degree when I am 27.

I repeated one year each at both middle school and high school due to bad results. And I suffered from depression for 2 years and had to discontinue my studies for awhile. That is why I started my degree at a later age.

I feel quite demoralized because most of my peers graduated with a degree at the age of 22 and have settled down with a job or even completed their Masters degree.

Will I have trouble finding a job after graduation due to an older age (27 vs 22)?

Are you talking about a high school degree or college degree?

Wade Wrote:Are you talking about a high school degree or college degree?

College degree

I was 29 when I finished my undergrad and I will be 37 when I finish my graduate degree. Should I feel bad about that?

Ah. Well then, I'm right there with you good sir. We're young yet, relatively so at least. I mean, not compared to like 100 years ago. Back then we'd be about the age where our kids are getting ready to work and we'd be getting ready to die of dysentery, or the black lung, or whatever. We'd be right losers. But this is the era of perpetual adolescence! Have no fear. And feeling inadequate in comparison with your peers is a past time we both share. How bout when we graduate we get a place together and use our degrees for what they're most useful for: kindling. We'll need it. We sure as fuck won't be able afford electricity. Warmly, and barely lit, we'll curse all those who made the right decisions and our anger and regret will keep us nourished.

I'll be 27 when I get a degree next spring. I did 4 yrs in the marines after HS. I'm glad I didn't go straight on to college after HS cuz I'd have wasted half my time partying like the 1st and 2nd yr students all do, just getting out from under their parents' roof. I'm by far no the smartest or the fastest learner but I'm staying in the top 10% of my class because I'm focused on school more than 90% of them. You probably will be too.

On a serious note: My advice, which I have no authority to give, is to not compare yourself with anyone else. Your life is your own. Other's lives are theirs. Stop facebooking your old high school classmates and over idealizing their probably miserable lives (am I projecting here? Why yes... yes I am).

Just look forward. Know that you're flexible and can adjust to whatever life throws at you. You'll be fine... and so will I... *ahem* we'll be fine.

memechose Wrote:I'm by far no the smartest or the fastest learner but I'm staying in the top 10% of my class because I'm focused on school more than 90% of them. You probably will be too.

I'm the exact same way. I tried college for a couple years right after high school and failed miserably. After I left and spent some time working and maturing, I'm the best in all my classes. Not because I'm smarter, just more properly motivated.

Wade Wrote:Ah. Well then, I'm right there with you good sir. We're young yet, relatively so at least. I mean, not compared to like 100 years ago. Back then we'd be about the age where our kids are getting ready to work and we'd be getting ready to die of dysentery, or the black lung, or whatever. We'd be right losers. But this is the era of perpetual adolescence! Have no fear. And feeling inadequate in comparison with your peers is a past time we both share. How bout when we graduate we get a place together and use our degrees for what they're most useful for: kindling. We'll need it. We sure as fuck won't be able afford electricity. Warmly, and barely lit, we'll curse all those who made the right decisions and our anger and regret will keep us nourished.

Dear Wade,
Dang! You're a cynical rat aren't ya?
Just for that wait and see what you don't get for Christmas!
Sincerely
S.Claus
Nose-pick

memechose Wrote:Dear Wade,
Dang! You're a cynical rat aren't ya?
Just for that wait and see what you don't get for Christmas!
Sincerely
S.Claus
Nose-pick

Awww... I'll be good, I promise!!!

Buried deep in the heart of every cynic is a raging optimist dying to be set free. My optimism and zeal for life affirming positivity is so overwhelming at times that it must be beaten into submission lest it kill me.