Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Handwriting
What's your handwriting like? I've heard it says things about your personality, or mood etc.

My handwriting is never consistent and rarely neat. It's incredibly rare to find all my words sitting on the line. It'd actually be decent looking if the altitude were the same.

I switch between fancy cursive with slant, fancy cursive with no slant. Casual joint writing with slight slant, printing with slant, printing with opposite slant, and messy shorthand. O_o this can all happen within one line.

One time I invented my own script to write English. It was basically a version which was simplified and has less variation, and is easier to print because there are barely any curves (there were only about 4 letters with curves)

If I want to write quickly it looks acceptable but if I really take my time for some reason I can write quite well. Although by now I'm so used to writing on computers that handwriting kind of hurts if I do it for too long :c

My hand writing looks like that of a six year old.

I've always had crappy joints and shaky hands; I think it may be related to being born nine weeks premature, not sure though.

It really depends.

I have always liked to use pencil knowing that it is less permanent. I can also write print very neatly so sometimes my cursive writing looks like my printing but with jointing lines...

I recently found a nice but cheap fountain pen sold at a drug store and have been having fun with it... I thought it looked pretty good but discovered it looked like a doctor scribblings so that made me pretty happy and I starting using it for official papers - meaning you had to really study every letter of every word to grasp the official paper lol...

lastly, I also enjoy very fine tip pens and wanted to make notes on Tarot cards in a small format. When someone looked at the print they thought it was typed. They were even more impressed when I told them most of it was hand printed while on the train!

So, to answer your question my handwriting is most like that of HAL.

When I'm writing a letter (remember them?) - very neat.

When I'm jotting down notes - awful scribble.

Lilitu Wrote:... fancy cursive with slant, fancy cursive with no slant. Casual joint writing with slight slant, printing with slant, printing with opposite slant, and messy shorthand. O_o this can all happen within one line ...
local schools here no longer teach cursive.

I grew up in the era of pens and paper, as such we were forced to write script (cursive) in a clear hand. Teachers would grade you on how well your paper looked based solely on you hand-writing. Legibility was very important back in the day before computers.

My cursive is still 'pretty' and neat, I take my time when using cursive. I use print for 'note taking' as its a bit faster and even when sloppy it is legible.

I also did calligraphy long ago - I believe I still have my pen and nib set around here somewhere. I bet the inks are all dried up by now :tongue:.

I also know how to shape a quill into a writing implement - Feather, ink, paper...

That artistic, fancy calligraphy 'art' forced me to take writing more seriously and forced on me simple habits that have lead to excellent penmanship.

I remember spending an extensive time learning cursive, and a lot of our written assignments in grade school had to be done in cursive. I haven't used cursive since before high school, there's been no real need in the era of internet and word processors. I only kind of do a bastardization of cursive when writing my signature, but even that is just my first name and half my last name a then just a bunch of squiggles. I've been told it looks like a doctor's signature.

My normal handwriting has gotten less and less legible as time goes on.

Oh, I forgot about my signature...

I had a small business about a decade ago and had to sign sooooooo many official docs like credit card stuff over and over... so my sig kinda got to the point where I could say "That aint my signature!" even though it was very repeatable Lol2 I doubt that anyone would be able to copy my signature Flash

Then there are my parents generation who were really punished into cursive writing... their signatures are also soooo perfect that it isnt really an individuals signature but like something out of a cursive workbook and so easily copied :O You can see them taking sooooo much time and even at times with the tips of their tongue at their lip as if they are still trying to please the teacher Lol2

I'm left handed. As a kid I alway had messy handwriting. I tried hard and took my time too. Later in high school I finally started experimenting with ways to grasp a pencil and trained my hands to make certain shapes and I started to notice an improvement. Of course by high school I had evolved into a touch typist (typing without needing to look at the keyboard).
I had long grown annoyed by the smear on my left hand from writing, so I started to teach myself to write with my right hand. It took work, but less work than I thought. I had to teach my right hand how to make certain shapes too. Eventually it was the same as my left hand, now when I swap hands I notice my right is neater, though I have been writing with my right hand more than my left.
As a left hander, living in a right hand world, I've noticed some tedious and even dangerous habits. Like when driving my car reaching my left hand across my body to the heater controls. It isn't hard for myself to notice and I correct it.
When writing my first thought is to use my right, as it is now with eating too. Sometimes when I am under pressure I switch to my left, I guess pass test taking anxiety as a child.
Sometimes I start writing super neat, and then start writing sloppy again. Sometimes it starts out sloppy and finer and finer print works its ways into it. Sometimes I am vague enough to erase my name after writing it just to write it again neater.
In grade school I was sometimes teased for my sloppy handwriting, and by high school some kids and one teacher said I have neat handwriting. I've heard horror stories with teachers forcing kids to write neater, some of them involving nuns and rulers, and my cousin who grew up a generation before me stayed back a year for being left handed (which my grandma was furious over as soon as she found out), so I'm content with my handwriting improving on its own.
I almost always write in cursive before print.
A long wall of text, but as you can see, I much prefer typing. It makes thoughts come out so much smoother.