Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Head of the Catholic Church Resigns
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-21411304

Time for a change of how they treat same sex relationships perhaps?

Mexicanwave

ObW
X

Watching it on the News as I type, I hope good changes are about to come!

Never expected to read that first here. Gayspeak breaks the news.

Don't expect to see any improvement in the church. Its main growth area is Africa, a continent to which they'll want to appeal and none too fond of the gays. They may even elect a black pope.

As I thought, Paddy Power and Ladbrokes (UK bookmakers) both have Peter Tuckson, a Ghanaian cardinal as most likely prospect with odds of 9/2 and 5/4. He's by no means a liberal. Personally I'm backing Father Jack.

I am an anti-clerical atheist, I'm happy to see the resigns of Darth Sidious ;-)
Now in few months we'll have to see the new king of criminals.

OlderButWiser Wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-21411304

Time for a change of how they treat same sex relationships perhaps?

Mexicanwave

ObW
X

That and maybe the now ex-pope is ashamed of protecting pedophile priests.

yea........nothing good this way will come.

They'll find a new bigot.

Mick

I think the fact that he announced his resignation speech in Latin really sums up all that is wrong with the Church in general and the papacy in particular.

One of the most important Catholic statements since the 14/15th Century (last time a Pope resigned rather than died/was killed in office) and he makes it in a dead language. Enough said.

As for the next Pope coming out of Africa, God help all of us if this is the case. The bigoted, anti Gay sentiment that originates mainly from the church in Africa is frightening quite frankly. And I say that as someone who has lived here (Ghana and Kenya) for the past 3 years.

They wont just be talking a language from the Dark Ages, they will be doing their best to put us back there.

Just my POV.

ObW
X

No, don't expect Sam Sex marriage to be one of the major changes within the Church anytime soon. Maybe 25 years from now.

While previous popes have done a little to change the sexual codes and moralities of the Church, such as putting an OK on the use of condoms in some instances, acceptance of homosexuality in general is going to require a lot more time and the church coming up with a nifty 'safe' way to undo around 2000 years of dead set policies against homosexuality.

The Catholic church has been known to change its views on long held traditions, however it also has to maintain some sort of tradition and standards because it continually has promoted this image of infallibility. If it started changing its views rapidly on anything it sets up the conditions for total collapse.

Slow change is the mainstay of the Church. While the laity and clergy inside the church are always decades ahead in their views, the church and its policies must move slowly toward change. Its a policy of checks and balances that has lead to the church surviving for around 2000 years.

Two thousand years is a long time for an organization to survive.

If the name of the next pop is Peter, beware, the end of the world is soon to follow...

St. Malachi predicted X number of popes... There is one more after Benedict, or so the prophecy says.

About time He angered me in so many ways, Just hope the next one is not worse , when will they grow their foolish Minds ?