Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello from Toronto
Hello Joe Welcome

@Princealbertofb, my family situation is ridiculously complicated. It may be due to both cultural and religious reasons. For the long version, see below. Smile

So I am of Chinese dissent. I grew up in Canada most of my life. Knew I was gay and came out to my parents when I was 19. While in secondary school, my Dad got a job offer and he and my Mom relocated to Hong Kong, while I stayed in Toronto. I never had an issue with it. So I came out to my parents by email. They never disowned me but they never accepted that I was gay either. After I met my partner and moved in with him, my parents and I were still on talking terms, but we never talked about my partner. Everytime they visited Canada, I would try to introduce my partner to my parents, but they always said that weren't ready. Well last August, my Dad passed away suddenly in Hong Kong due to late term cancer. Understandably it was devastating for the family especially my Mom; however, it also created a huge problem in that my Mom had to move back to Canada to be closer to me and my brother. So here she is wanting me to spend more time with her while refusing to recognize my LTR with my partner. It's very hurtful to me and my partner. For 10 years, I naively believed that my parents would come around. Now, I have come to terms that my Mom is a homophobe and will never change. I am just very grateful that my partner has been very understanding about it.

Sorry for the rant!

Hi Joe and welcome to GS. I run also, doing about 30 miles (48 Km) a week. Running my first 1/2 marathon in October and thinking about doing a marathon next year.

azulai Wrote:Hey, Joe. Welcome to GS!

Congrats on the 10 years with your partner!

I also run 3 times a week, (bi)cycle 3 and rest one. Always nice to meet a fellow runner.

@azulai, do you do any races? I did my fisrt 5K race last April and I got hooked. Since then, I have been looking for races to run in. Smile

@medic, it's awesome that you're doing a half-marathon in October. I did my first half-marathon last October..and did another one in April. Good for you for thinking of doing a full marathon next year. I have to say the idea of actually running a full marathon never crossed my mine. It just sounds so daunting.

runnerjoe Wrote:@azulai, do you do any races? I did my fisrt 5K race last April and I got hooked. Since then, I have been looking for races to run in. Smile

@medic, it's awesome that you're doing a half-marathon in October. I did my first half-marathon last October..and did another one in April. Good for you for thinking of doing a full marathon next year. I have to say the idea of actually running a full marathon never crossed my mine. It just sounds so daunting.

I ran my first 5K in April as well. It was connected to my university's children's hospital fund-raiser. My bf and I sponsored a young cancer patient. I definitely want to do more of these. Confusedmile:

i love canada - its so beautiful and tolerant. pleased to meet you Smile

Have you been to the Maldives? Smile Welcome, btw!

@byandurel, thanks. Smile

@warmpixels, unfortunately, never been to Maldives. Thanks for the welcome.