Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi
A little about me - I am on loan from NYC to the Appalachian Mountains - very rural and very, very economically depressed.

Town consists of two stop lights and 3 fast food chains - a (very bad) Chinese restaurant and that's about it - not even a movie theater - or any form of entertainment for that matter.

The local residents for the most part were born and raised in these mountains. I cannot imagine anyone wanting to move here on purpose; there is no industry/work for the local population, outside of a few very small town jobs.

Once you get past the initial shock, the people here are like people everywhere open and closed - good and bad, but the one thing they all have in common is they are part of these Mountains and live the mountain ways; which means largely tending their families. Thus, leaving a single person with not to many options.

I will say - this mountain range does rival the Swiss Alps in it beauty an majesty; but there is where it stops for me.

I do get back to my home in NY and travel quite a bit - however, they call this place 50 miles from anywhere - and it is - closest airport 1-1/2 hours away. We are talking 100 miles round trip to see a Movie - or eat in an nice restaurant.

Sometime I feel like I am going to have a culture breakdown!

hey , welcome Smile

Hi welcome to GS. Smile

Have you any interesting in hiking, skiing etc.

G day and welcome

stu Wrote:Have you any interesting in hiking, skiing etc.

Yes - however as I am sure you are aware there is only so much of that one can do. Skiing is 50 miles away. I am however going tomorrow.

Hi:hello-handsome-smil

You could study something i.e. distance learning college course (if they have that over there). Failing that get yourself a webcam...

Welcome to the forum!

Learning to use the forum.