Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homeopathy
I'd like to believe and have tried homeopathic remedies a few times, but I don't think I have ever noticed any particularly beneficial effect from taking the sugar pills. I appreciate the time taken by a homeopathic practitioner getting to know the patient, but as for the remedies themselves ... well, maybe I should have had more patience and gone back to spend more money on a different remedy.

Considering the poor press homeopathy has suffered recently, I found this interesting. I don't know whether Luc Montagnier has drawn the reported conclusions from his work or whether this article is mainly spun from air.

Nobel Prize winner reports effects of homeopathic dilutions European Committee for Homeopathy

People tend to dis the placebo effect. I think it is fantastic, the medicine can be as cheap as chips and the patient gets better. However it is not necessarily side-effect free, there is such a thing as the nocebo effect.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Luc Montagnier is a virologist and it does not appear to be the case that he considers himself to be a homeopath. It looks a bit like homeopaths are taking credit for something that has little or nothing to do with their work. And what exactly is a homeopath - a medicine man? I know that placebos can work in some cases but nobody would knowingly pay for a placebo, would they?

peterinmalaga Wrote:And what exactly is a homeopath - a medicine man?

A person who gives out little chalk tablets onto which a drop of a particular solution has been absorbed. The solution is made by taking a substance that causes the same complaint as the patient complains of, dissolving it in water, and then repeatedly shaking and diluting it until there is unlikely to be a single molecule of the substance in the drop that is placed on the tablet.

peterinmalaga Wrote:I know that placebos can work in some cases but nobody would knowingly pay for a placebo, would they?

No, but some may choose not to apply their usual scepticism to the medicines that they take.
Fred

fredv3b Wrote:A person who gives out little chalk tablets onto which a drop of a particular solution has been absorbed ...
In the sixties people who distributed drops of liquid used blotting paper and were sometimes known as "connections". The effects were usually more striking Rolleyes

I've never known a homeopath "give" out anything. Sell, yes, but give without an exchange taking place ...? In France they can deliver their services on the health service, but they tend not to rely purely on the homeopathy as the only course of treatment. I daresay there are GPs in England who also practise homeopathy?

Contrary to homeopathy I have also tried acupuncture and cranial osteopathy, on a few occasions, but with both of these I have observed some striking results.

the placebo effect is a real effect - my workmates wife is a phd forensic expert (i forget her real title) they have a book with all medications that they use to link to crimes etc or whatever thay need it for - there's a great percentage of medication they prescribed in it and they are a plescebo, power of the mind really works in some cases i guess - or they just fob u off to get better on your own - make your choice !!

The power of the mind is everything. Smile

matty7 Wrote:the placebo effect is a real effect

Yes I realise that but it wouldn't half piss me off to know that I had forked out a shedload of money for a load of garbage even if the effect was the desired one,

Silly question but why?
Fred

Homoeopathy seems to work for me, as does some Chinese medicine. The medicine isn't very nice to take, but it seems to work. Or maybe I'm just a normally healthy guy... who knows?