Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homosexuality In America,” -- or-- How I found out I was “gay” at age 16, 1964.
I read it all... And I was fascinated, terrified, confused, thrilled, and wanted to discover more as I read each paragraph. At some point I couldn't believe that information, but it sounded very true, especially among people who still consider homosexuality a "dangerous" taboo, alongside drugs addiction, prostitution, vandalism, terrorism...

If I was still secretly a bit deploring and asking myself why am I born gay, now all this information made me more than ever determined to live extremely happy, non-scared but cautious, not rushing but bearing a loving heart.

I value very much how you were scared as hell to discover (at your time) that homosexuality was a mental disorder. If I were you maybe I'd have spent the rest of my youth in a mental health facility where I'd endure endless failing attempts to "cure" me.

I'm very delighted about the huge advance in suppressing homophobia in a majority of the world, from few decades ago until now. I know it already from here in Lebanon, pushing forward to achieve peace, slowly but surely. I hope I'll be alive when the LGBT equality finally prevails across the entire globe.

Smile Wink

Best read on GS.... ever. Thank you man.

And this is why I like this forum so much! Not only do I get advice, laughs, knowledge, and general entertainment, but now history which absolutely fascinates me!

Thank you Mike W for a topic that should be read by all forum members! Looking forward to your next topic.

Buzzer Wrote:I basically lived at the FSM Cafe on the north side of campus when I wasn't in class.

Lots of history to be proud about there.

Now I have a specific destination in mind to check out when I move (other than Uni and Chinatown lol). Smile

Part of me still feels like a pervert because I was shamed for years and years. Will I ever be rid of this feeling? Ugh.

MikeW Wrote:For many it will be tl;dr (too long; didn’t read). I

well...at least i finally found out what tl;dr means.

Uneunsae Wrote:Part of me still feels like a pervert because I was shamed for years and years. Will I ever be rid of this feeling? Ugh.
I suspect this is a rhetorical question, but w/e I'll give it a shot . . .

My question is, when you say "part of me feels," can you say *what* part?

My experience is that to unravel questions like yours, I have to dig into those "parts," really get to know them. Why do I -- why do any of us -- feel shame? And to really understand that, something more than just thinking about it is necessary.

We have to go into it, really feel it all the way down to the quick, so to speak. The most tender parts. We have to see and perhaps even re-experience the initial *wounding* that created that shame. What I see is it is a scar, emotional scar tissue. Like something that healed over in a particular 'shape' or 'form' or 'feeling' that got solidified and identified with the concept of "shame". But the feeling, the wounding, is much deeper than that.

Uneunsae Wrote:Now I have a specific destination in mind to check out when I move (other than Uni and Chinatown lol). Smile
I'd enjoy giving you a tour of Berkeley, at least the Campus area. I could show you the FSM monument:

[Image: fsm%20full.jpg]

It reads:

THIS SOIL AND THE AIRSPACE EXISTING ABOVE IT SHALL NOT BE PART OF ANY NATION AND SHALL NOT BE SUBJECT TO ANY ENTITY'S JURISDICTION.

It may very well be the only "liberated" spot on Earth.

Edit to add…

Allegedly the plaque marks the spot where this happened:

[Image: freeeee.jpg]

This was in 1965. That's a campus police car with an arrested student, Jack Weinberg, surrounded by other students preventing the car from driving away. Long story why the student had been arrested . Basically he was arrested for an act of "civil disobedience" on campus. It's a concept people don't talk about much anymore -- but it used to be something everyone knew about. It was a technique that was used throughout the Civil Rights movement, the Free Speech Movement and the anti-Vietnam War movement of the 1960s. The idea is to breaks the law (disobedience) in a peaceful, non-violent way (civil) to protest (speech) and call attention to (more speech) something perceived as unjust.

[Image: weinberg.jpg]

Jack Weinberg.

The students held the car captive for nearly 24 hours -- until the University administration signed what was called "the Pact of October 2" with representatives from several student political groups. During the time the car was held hostage, the students used it both literally and figuratively as a platform for free speech. They put a microphone on top and *anyone* could go up there and say anything they wanted.

The guy standing on top in the first picture is Mario Savio. He is best known for this speech (this is only a short excerpt) which he gave just before the occupation of Sproul Hall (the chief administrative building on campus) on December 2, 1964. It was the largest demonstration of the FSM. Approximately 1500 students took part in the occupation and, ultimately, 773 of them were arrested.

Wonderful, Mike, I'll take you up on the offer. I'll PM you regarding the more personal issue. Smile

MikeW Wrote:I'd enjoy giving you a tour of Berkeley, at least the Campus area. I could show you the FSM monument:

[Image: fsm%20full.jpg]

It reads:

THIS SOIL AND THE AIRSPACE EXISTING ABOVE IT SHALL NOT BE PART OF ANY NATION AND SHALL NOT BE SUBJECT TO ANY ENTITY'S JURISDICTION.

It may very well be the only "liberated" spot on Earth.

As a special P.S. to Uneunsae, if you turn left from where this picture is looking and walk about 25 feet, you'll run into fifty thousand Korean student organization booths. ;D