Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hope for wanna be parents
Hi
Just come back from India after having IVF.I got a positive and was so happy but have recently miscarried so my worlds gone a bit flat...but not giving up!
Just wanted to give some hope to any gay couples that having a child is possible.Met lots of gay couples from US and UK who are having surrogacy at the clinic.One guy took home his baby daughter 2mths ago.
If you want more info ,Im happy to help x

The panel to the left of your message states you are a single gay man ... and you say you have just had IVF :confused:

After trying to make a rational decision to vote in our general election today I didn't think my day could get any weirder.

Welcome to GS, I suppose.

Hey welcome. I'v just been reading up on gay adoption laws for nz. And I would like them to be changed.

here they are

Currently there are no specific barriers to gay individuals adopting children, except that men cannot adopt female children. However gay couples cannot adopt as couples. In recent years, Government white papers and Law Commission Reports have suggested inclusive reform is advisable, although wider reform of adoption generally appears to be possible.
On May 21, 2006, Green List MP Metiria Turei raised the issue of gay adoption, arguing that New Zealand's Adoption Act 1955 did not meet the complexities of contemporary New Zealand society. She argued following the enactment of the Civil Union Act in particular that eligible lesbian and gay prospective parents should be enabled to legally adopt. At present, gay Green List MP Kevin Hague has taken over this member's bill, which is currently awaiting being drawn from the ballot for member's bills Parliament holds from time to time. With the recent abolition of the provocation defence, the Adoption Act 1955 has now become the sole remaining area of substantive LGBT-related inequality within New Zealand law.
Many lesbian couples are now raising children in New Zealand. Where these children are conceived through donor (sperm) insemination both of the lesbians are recognised on the children's birth certificates (the birth mother as 'mother', the other mother as 'other parent'). This is following the Care of Children Act 2004, which modified the Status of Children Act 1969 (see Part 2). Fostering and guardianship are also recognised in New Zealand law and regulation, and reproductive technology has been accessible since 1994.
The current status of New Zealand adoption law is that while it is possible for the former coparent to individually adopt the child of her (or his) partner if she (or he)has had predominant parental responsibility during the absence of that partner [1] , it is not similarly possible for a long-term lesbian (or gay) coparent within an ongoing relationship to do likewise, although guardianship orders are available in this context. Ironically, the cited case would have been superseded by the Care of Children Act 2004, given that the children had been parented through donor insemination (see below) [2]
The donor is not recognised as a legal parent in New Zealand law. However, parents and donors can make formal agreements as to how things will work but the Courts do have flexibility as to whether they recognise these agreements or not (see section 41 of the Care of Children Act 2004).
As well, lesbians who may have trouble conceiving using artificial means may be eligible, as other NZ women are, to help through publicly funded in vitro fertilisation (IVF). However, there are conditions on this and every woman needing IVF are scored as to their eligibility