Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How large is our galaxy?
I am always astonished by the size of our own Milky Way. Almost too much to wrap your head around......until you take into consideration the size of the galaxy cluster that it is a part of.....and even then, take into consideration the estimated number of galaxy clusters!

I would post links....but as of this moment, I am unable to. :frown:

We're just a mere blimp in comparison to the wider picture. I often think what is space where does it come from. Where does it end? But it just gives me a headache lol

I still hope sometime in my lifetime we're able to explore the galaxies like they do in the movies. something I found interesting when I did a paper a while back was the supercomputers we build today are still not powerful enough to show all the galaxies in space. I think the computer was something like a multi core with over a terabyte of memory, I'm trying not to sound to nerdy :biggrin:

ceez Wrote:I still hope sometime in my lifetime we're able to explore the galaxies like they do in the movies. something I found interesting when I did a paper a while back was the supercomputers we build today are still not powerful enough to show all the galaxies in space. I think the computer was something like a multi core with over a terabyte of memory, I'm trying not to sound to nerdy :biggrin:

Honestly, as depressing as it is, I think we are still 100+ years from full on space exploration.

Scotty Wrote:We're just a mere blimp in comparison to the wider picture. I often think what is space where does it come from. Where does it end? But it just gives me a headache lol

Big headacheSad

No edge dude NO EDGE!!!!!

Wow...I think he drank either a lot of coffee or a few rockstars prior to the making of that video! Cool vid though.

about the size, slightly smaller, of a single atom

Yes, it certainly makes one feel very small.

It makes us rather humble.