Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How out is "out" in your book?
Pix Wrote:Have you ever seen Persepolis? I'd be curious what you thought of it.

As for me that's one of my favorite movies, and very rare in that in multiple viewings it has both made me laugh AND cry.

Yes, I've watched Persepolis before.

I think it's ashamed with how things end up. You thought you lifted bricks but only being thrown more bricks.

Fortunately I don't think what happened to Iran can happen to my country. Touch wood?

By law, Malaysia's official religion is Islam but Buddhism, Hinduism and Christianity are considered to be Malaysia's main religions too. Malaysia is structured by multi ethnic groups. Main ethnic groups in Malaysia are Malay, Chinese and Indian. Follows by other smaller ethnic groups.

Speaking of Malay - when you are Malay, you are automatically become, seen and stamps as an Islam. That's just how it is. By law, it's impossible to change your religion when you are a Malay. What makes one Malay different from another is his own degree of faith in Islam. I was well educated in Islam but grew to become agnostic.

Personally, I think having Chinese, Indian and other non Islam ethnic groups help to hold Malaysia from becoming an extreme Islamic country. We do have groups of Malays that practice Islam excessively but they are not able to spread widely due to the factor I've mentioned above - Multi religions, ethics and cultures.

Homosexuality came to surface slowly with time. The more modern Malaysia becomes, the more modern and open people become. But again, every one is an individual so each person carries a different degree of openness, modernity and tolerance.

I can't say that it is easier to be gay if you're not a Malay but Chinese or Indian. I can't speak for other races because everyone comes from a different background, family and culture.

Being a Malay and gay is difficult because you are an Islam. As you know, Islam in its foundation does not tolerate homosexuality. A Malay gay guy also struggles to come out due to fear of losing his family and tainting his family's name. Not forgetting fear to confront the public.

The strength of homosexuality openness in Malaysia varies. It mostly depends on the location. Most places and states in Malaysia still do not accept gay openly. But I live in the capital city of Malaysia, which is Kuala Lumpur and I happen to work in a district called Star Hill. Star Hill is probably the most modern district in Kuala Lumpur. It's pretty much your New York's Fifth Avenue and Melbourne's Collins Street. Star Hill is widely known as a gay spot. Gays can be seen openly pretty much everywhere. We have few gay clubs in this district too.

Star Hill is also a favorite spot for Arab tourists and we have a lot of them. The Arab female tourists are pretty much like in Persepolis. They wore whole black veils from head to toe. But I remember there was this one Arab female tourist. She came from her country with black veil but took it off once she was in Star Hill.

I'm a Malay but out. My parents found out that I'm gay when I was a young teen and boy, they weren't happy with their discovery at all. They think I'm fully cured now. They thought my gayness was just a phase.

I came out to public slowly on 2010.

P/S: Hey Pix, speaking of Persepolis - I can't figure out how she managed to pay her rent particularly to the crazy lady with her crazy dog. Did she have a job? If she was able to pay rent, how come she ended up being homeless and eating trash?

Jay Wrote:Thanks Fenris.

I don't want to lie to myself for the rest of my life. I shivered when I saw some guys on Grindr with Married status. Can't imagine how they able to confront their wives and kids every day after banging guys behind.

I know it's not easy to come out when you live in Islamic country but still, eh. Life is all about taking risks.

You are strong enough to stand for yourself and to defend yourself and I hope that you are secure in your country

I think being OUT can mean different things to different people and to think that it means just one thing is rather dumb.

I don't know, but as of tonight, I'm as out as I consider out to my parents, and they're totally cool with it. Fuck yeah!!!

DerJack Wrote:I don't know, but as of tonight, I'm as out as I consider out to my parents, and they're totally cool with it. Fuck yeah!!!

I'll be following suit soon hopefully >,<