Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How secure is your password?
One password I have: 931 trillion years

GS password: 63 million

My password is the same for everything... And it's probably not hard to crack if you know me

It's very interesting to see how so many of you guys are confident about your password. The length or the combination of your password isn't really what makes your password secure. You can have the most difficult to guess password but if the site or the script that you use the password on has not have a go encryptor your password worth shit and can easily be bruteforced ... a good password also goes with a good application/website encryption algorithm. I'd be much more concern about the security used by the website or application I am using then my actual password. So you guys and your 37billions years... yeah sure... it's beautiful to dream ... but in reality you can more go with 11 minutes to 2 days of constant bruteforce attack to crack your password... By the way Facebook makes use of MD5, and SHA encryption technologies... which I've been known to be pretty solid but yet crackable within 54 minutes by network security expert.

I tought you'd like to know

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:It would take 1 year to crack one of my passwords.

37 years to crack another popular one.

So dialing through with various passwords I have used it would appear I tend to make ones that would stand up to decades of scrutiny.

My Secret? I use Capitals, letters and numbers.

Good for yolu. It's more or less what I said in my message number 9.

As far as what Edwarde says, I do the same. I only used really difficult passwords for sensitive stuff like bank accounts etc. I'm not going to clog up my brain inventing different passwords for all the sites I log on to.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

It would take a desktop PC about 5 quintillion years to crack my password!

Yeah right - I don't believe it... if one understand Encryption algorithm... any passwords would take more or less 2 days to be bruteforce... the password is just one aspect

I have a notebook with all of my passwords in every site I use and even pw for my bank. Im doomed if that would be lost. hehe.

Basically, my passwords are just the same and related to each other. Like my GS password, its just the same with my wordpress password & laptop password. Its always letters with numbers for me.

YAY I can be of assistance here (Cyber Crime Degree)
Any password can be broken via brute force, if you use straight words it can be broken quickly with a dictionary attempt. the tool we used in school most was jack the ripper and OPHcrack for windows based passwords. HOWEVER very few passwords are cracked like this due to server security such as a limited number of attempts before a lock.
So typically password crackers are used on client side applications or encryption. The most common way passwords are "cracked" is by key loggers (software that monitors your input) probably the second type of easy password crack is someone useing a fishing tool like wireshark on an open wifi, not all free wifi's use good encryption like wpa2 instead they use stupid simple WEP which can be broken with FREE tools in about 10 minutes if the network is active. soo remember kids download from good sources that haven't added anything unwanted to the program Smile I wouldn't recommend using password for sensitive things on open networks (even though most sensitive things are encrypted by the server your connected too) you can verify your downloads via hash values if you want to be super safe and can edit your host file to block ads/popups and prevent you from being redirected to harmful sites. This paired with a light antivirus (avg free edition) and your pretty safe! ^_^

MarySandy Wrote:It would take a desktop PC about 5 quintillion years to crack my password!

Yeah right - I don't believe it... if one understand Encryption algorithm... any passwords would take more or less 2 days to be bruteforce... the password is just one aspect

It's just a dumb site to tell you if you can survive at least common attempts at cracking passwords...

I know that most likely it refers to common people and how easy or not it would be for ordinary folks to guess your password...

nothing more, we are all doomed, the NSA is spying on all of us (yes, even here) as we speak, anyway...so whatever...:tongue:

but really, thanks for the input, Sandy, it's helpful...

you too, SilverBullet

Evan88 Wrote:I have a notebook with all of my passwords in every site I use and even pw for my bank. Im doomed if that would be lost. hehe.

Basically, my passwords are just the same and related to each other. Like my GS password, its just the same with my wordpress password & laptop password. Its always letters with numbers for me.

What's your password again Evan sweetie hahahaha