Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Believe in Nargles
I just found out about a band calling themselves the Whomping Willows that formed inspired by the Harry Potter series...apparently they have a lot of songs out there. I've got to check this out. Confusedmile:

Anyway, here's the first song I discovered by them:

ETA: And I thought I'd share this YT comment by Christopher Smith:

"I can SO see Neville singing this to her. In the Great Hall. With a guitar and amp. On top of the teacher's table." Roflmao

Whoa, ANOTHER HP-inspired band called Ministry of Magic that was linked to:

Just how many HP bands are there? :confused:

Damn, just when I was going to start a DnB duo called "Mischief Managed"... Or "Department of Mysteries"... Or "Torchwood".

Overall wrock (wrock=wizard rock) is ok, mainly funny in a geeky sort of way. I didn't like the Whomping Willows as much as I thought I would (still like their I Believe in Nargles). Though to my surprise a great many songs actually sided with the bad guys, and some were at least morbidly interesting if not better than many of the ones praising the heroes. Swish and Flick was so sick & wrong it's wrong-sick, and this one just somehow seemed believable (sung in the Slytherin dungeon and hangouts in Knockturn Alley, and maybe even over WWN while the Death Eaters ruled), I suppose given my exposure to similar muggle music (the kind that appeals to a select few but make most others feel awkward hearing it at best if not downright offended), and yet it made me laugh at imagining how twisted the mind was in making it:

I was actually surprised just how sleazy (or close enough) they got at times, too, like this (not...exactly...work safe lyric-wise, and even someone not familiar with the Potterverse is going to pick up on why, and some may want brain bleach after 2:30), which also made me laugh for being so wrong-sick:

And for those into metal (a lot of it sounds to me like King Diamond doing death metal, though You Could Be Mine reminded me of Guns & Roses for some reason, though fair disclaimer I'm not that familiar with these metal bands) there's the Dark Lord himself:

http://www.myspace.com/voldemort_wizardmetal

I didn't care for it too much myself (though I thought it well done all the same), but I DID really like Crucio (different from the others in music, voice, and lyrics) and it seemed truest to Voldy if he was secretly a musician on the side:

http://www.myspace.com/voldemort_wizardm...o-22383900

These are the last ones I've heard so they're the ones I'm sharing of.

But I also thought this was touching:

I didn't care for this one so much, yet as I heard that I imagined a "Druidic Reformation" who were a reaction against both Death Eaters and the new progressive direction (which I imagine most wizards, especially the pure bloods, would embrace, neither liking the extremism & terror of DE but also not liking the new direction "for the sake of progress" that threatens their entitled view of the world and sense of stability threatened by Potter, Granger, and Shacklebolt). They gain sympathy as they're for Pure Blood supremacy and yet believe all have their place so people don't have to see themselves as supremacists or at war with everyone else (and it seemingly promotes the welfare of those not pure blood as a concern for pure bloods, which some see as condescending while others like the idea of someone else taking care of them and taking on responsibilities so they don't have to), just "the most qualified/chosen to run this show."

They would also point out what muggles are doing to the environment they ALL share (and how it's encroaching on their magical preserves, even if indirectly in most cases thanks to wizard intervention), and also pointing out things like nukes (in a weird wizard explanation of course, and to stunned disbelief that muggles could create anything like that until Potter & Granger makes the mistake of confirming it among other things) promote the idea that the technology of muggles must be reversed (perhaps with some epic obliviator magic) for the security of wizards ("they got along just fine without their electric toys for millennia, and their population was better kept in check so as to not threaten the ecology") to gain popular support.

And I was thinking in a repeat of the Death Eaters (that seemed to have the nod from Scandinavian and Russian mages) the Reformation could be backed (and aided) by the Scandinavians (and Germans) who have strong Teutonic background (thus heavy handed and with some environmental concerns) with Russia wizard villages being annoyed by the rampant pollution and growing oil race threatening their privacy as well as impetuous muggles becoming "more than an annoyance, but a pestilence." What I think is fun about this is it's not so much a conflict of "good vs. evil" but has a lot of shades of grey, and as a result both sides (for the most part, and with exceptions among radical members or reactionaries) have to play more of a "cold war" game (though perhaps if this movement were much stronger in Russia and/or Scandinavia then perhaps members of those countries could be upping the stakes while the UK wizard world gets pulled in their wake...after all, why should everything of global importance happen on their shores?). This also opens the door to espionage in the wizarding world...especially if this is an issue that is taken up by the International Confederation of Wizards (with major historical implications regarding the social order based on the hard questions they're wrestling with).

I haven't gotten a firm idea on this yet, but from time to time a new idea pops up and it's possible that one day I'll write this, an adventure and intrigue for adventures in the 21st century wizarding world (and thus what Potter is DOING after cleaning up the Death Eater mess other than being served coffee at his auror desk). And all because I heard that song the other day.

Btw, for your convenience, the lyrics:

You fight for the freedom of everyone
and you fight for the honour of your girl
and you fight for the memory of your grandparents
and you fight for the savety of the world.

D5 E5 F5

But did you ever think to fight for the environement? (2x (3 x))

Without your help the forests will fade into nothing
without your help the mountains will crumble away
without your help the giant squidels have nowhere to swimm in
and all the dragons and thestrals will stand up and say

Did You ever think...

How long dear harry have you been a defense for hermione?
as she taught you nothing on you just deaf to the truth?
You smashed Voldemort now now it's time to smash polution
and make sure that only clean water reaches my roots

Did You ever think...

Btw, I'm not laying claim to the idea, so if someone else wants to run with it before I do then feel free, just let me know. Also, it wouldn't surprise me that someone didn't already explore a similar concept in fanfic already given that I was inspired to think of it just from hearing that song.

And finally, a little female homoeroticism that I found strangely believable (as in JK Rowling forgot to include this part in her novels):

Rofl

long live the hufflepuffs lol ;-)

I like Hufflepuffs (though I'm certain I'd have been sorted into Ravenclaw), and to everyone who puts them down I generally say one word: Tonks.

Wow, thanks for sharing these! Some of them were down right dirty though !

Swish & Flick actually get a lot more explicit than the ones I shared here.