Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Remember Truman Defeating Dewey
Charon Wrote:Speaking of necessary evils, my old friend and next door neighbour, Mae West, once said, "Of two evils, I always pick the one I haven't tried." Such profound advice. And more so because it implies they could recognize evils...

Okay now, you can't throw a nugget of information out there like this and not give a few more details! Mae West?!? Really?!? That is beyond cool! Where, when, how? You have piqued my interest and I really need to read more of your stories. You have to give us stories!

What other interesting things have you done in your life? Can you tell us how it was growing up on the tail end of the great depression? Living in the 50's and 60's. My mother told me about her younger, more wild days during those decades. What about the space race? Stonewall? The race riots? Any first hand stories of these?

gThrough a lot of confusion I ended up attending University at the Universityof Southern California. The campus was and is in a very "unhealthy" part of Los Angeles and so there was no question of living on campus or even near campus. Friends of my parents in Los Angeles said what was wanted was a good apartment hotel and the one they all chose was the Ravenswood at 570 N. Rossmore. This is 54 years ago and so the commute to school was realtively quick. I moved into apartment 615 and all went along for few days. One Friday, a tall man-well, he was my height which is tall, knocked at my door, introduced himself as Paul, Miss West's Gentleman and, if it was convenient, could I go with him to the other end of the hall to meet Miss West-she liked to know who was around. Miss West also has a taste for tall men who attended USC so I was acceptable to her. She was a private person, occasionally we'd meet at the elevator or when our cars were being brought but to say we were social friends would be overstatement. Until she saved my life. On the back of my front door there was a larger mirror where you could make sure you pants were on correctly or whatever before you opened the door to the world. In a hurry I gave the door a rather too sharp a tug and the mirror fell on me, part of it going into my throat. As providence would have it, she and Paul had just arrived at the elevator and came to see what happened. Leaving Paul to see to me, she called an ambulance -this was before 911- and then returned to offer her jacket to prop up my head and perhaps stop the blood flow. In these days the interest and fascination with Miss West has dimmed but then it had not I know not how many ambulance companies responded and, on hearing the name of the caller, the police the fire departement....all of whom were congratulating her on her quick thinking and, oh yeah, getting me hauled off to Good Samaritan. She was a genuinely kind person whose public persona was just that. Public. But she did pull out all the stops while I was in hosptital. Putting on one of her "Mae West" type costumes she came to visit stopping every clock in Good Sam. By the time she got to my room a goodly number of staff were following her. And she had the last laugh as usual. Arraying herself by my door she struck a pose, reached for her "Mae West" voice and said, "I thought I'd come up and see you some time. And this is the time." Then Paul closed the door and she went back to being genuinely concerned. It was a brief visit but an effective one. As she strolle down the hall she said to the phalanx of doctors who surrounded her, "I want my boy taken care of good and proper, if ya know what I mean" and, taking the boutinierre from one doctors laple, "and I think you do." I almost had to sign myself out. The traffic to and from my room with questions was non stop. So that's a bit about my neighbour, and very great lady, the woman who single handedly saved Paramount. And my friend, Mae West.

questioning Wrote:Well it got my attention. I came charging in here, ready to say I didn't believe you.

My hat's off to you, coming out with your age in your first post. I've been a member for about a month and a half, and haven't put a number on my age yet, although some of my posts have made it pretty clear.

I've been trying to count the members who are over 60, and I've only found 4 including myself. None between 50 & 60. Bowyn Aerrow persists in referring to himself like he's ancient, but he wasn't even around when Kennedy was assasinated.

Well Welcome to the forum. I'll look forward to learning from your experience.

I am 56...and proud of it. Wink
Welcome Charon!
PS...I loved reading about you and Mae West....

questioning Wrote:Well it got my attention. I came charging in here, ready to say I didn't believe you.

My hat's off to you, coming out with your age in your first post. I've been a member for about a month and a half, and haven't put a number on my age yet, although some of my posts have made it pretty clear.

I've been trying to count the members who are over 60, and I've only found 4 including myself. None between 50 & 60. Bowyn Aerrow persists in referring to himself like he's ancient, but he wasn't even around when Kennedy was assasinated.

Well Welcome to the forum. I'll look forward to learning from your experience.

Clearly sir you have not pursued my profile, and currently its 107, soon to be 108.... Or are you calling Gayspeak a liar? Mmmmmmm?:biggrin:

Hi and welcome to the forum Charon....Wavey

That's a moon or something ain't it... Wait I heard this name once, it was on a cruise boat (a dingy really) the Captains name was Charon.... I forget the name of the river we were cruising..

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:Hi and welcome to the forum Charon....Wavey

That's a moon or something ain't it... Wait I heard this name once, it was on a cruise boat (a dingy really) the Captains name was Charon.... I forget the name of the river we were cruising..

I believe it was the river dyx

Yeah that sounds very familiar.....

East Wrote:I am 56...and proud of it. Wink

Thanks East. It's good to know that we have some representation in the 50 - 60 year range. I had actually suspected after reading one of your recent posts.

And thanks Charon, that was a great story.

I'm not really as much of an ageist as you might think. But I learned early that it helps communication when you have a historical perspective. What's going on in the world while you're growing up tends to shape your view of the world.

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:are you calling Gayspeak a liar? Mmmmmmm?:biggrin:

The numbers go with the recent posts (I believe 3) in which you state your age as 47 - 48.

Just remember, everything I say is a lie.

I'm a liar.....:biggrin: