Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I dismiss Gym Rats
I figure they are shallow and insecure.  Am I wrong?

I think it's a generalization. I'm sure there are plenty of men who are body builders who enjoy working out, but that doesn't make them shallow.
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!
[-] The following 2 members Like CellarDweller's post:
  • Bhp91126, InbetweenDreams

Years ago (I have been with my husband for 34 years now - so before that) - I was turned off by any man who spent too much time in the mirror - or taking pictures. 

- and alot of gym guys spend too much time in the mirror - but the ones who didn't were OK with me.
[-] The following 1 member Likes eastofeden's post:
  • katzgar

I think what @CellarDweller is a good way to look at it. There is of course those "alpha males" who think they're the embodiment of what being a man is and should be...I think that is really what @katzgar is getting at. Sure, going to the gym, getting in shape, doing healthy things are all good things but there are some people who are well...just assholes.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

hmmmm I know we have guys like in the UK but I do have to say it does look like there is a "alpha males" thing going on more there than here. If so I just wonder why its happening more in the US than other countries..

Not sure how prevalent such personalities are in the UK, or elsewhere. All I can say being an American and having lived here all my life and having been to the gym, although not in a long time, is that yep, there are both gym rats and gym rats who are Alpha males in the US, but I wouldn't say it is all that common. One thing seems to be apparent to me is for good or bad the US makes international headlines on all sorts of things and so does a lot of pop culture, so it may not be so much there is more of those type of people in the US but you probably see it and hear it more often.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!
[-] The following 1 member Likes InbetweenDreams's post:
  • artyboy

(07-24-2021, 12:29 AM)InbetweenDreams Wrote: Not sure how prevalent such personalities are in the UK, or elsewhere. All I can say being an American and having lived here all my life and having been to the gym, although not in a long time, is that yep, there are both gym rats and gym rats who are Alpha males in the US, but I wouldn't say it is all that common. One thing seems to be apparent to me is for good or bad the US makes international headlines on all sorts of things and so does a lot of pop culture, so it may not be so much there is more of those type of people in the US but you probably see it and hear it more often.

I think the UK does have its own version I guess.

Saying that if I didnt have the issues I have with life at moment I properly being to the gym a lot.
My excuse is I'm disabled lol!

I was at the local Y for years, never met a meat-head there, nor any steroid junkies. But a decent number of guys I objectified.
Bernd

Being gay is not for Sissies.
[-] The following 1 member Likes Bhp91126's post:
  • InbetweenDreams

Well, I'm an incredibly insecure person, so I don't dismiss other insecure guys from my dating pool.

I don't think it's good to judge people on their appearance. Unless you have a fetish and they fulfill that. Bump