Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm being harassed by "visa interest free" spam phone calls
These people won't stop calling me. I'm tired of hearing some robot voice named "Ashley" telling me I can have "zero interest free" whatever the heck. Last time I tried connecting to ask to be removed, I asked, as politely and smoothly as possible, to be removed from their calling list, and the guy was an a-hole and put me on hold instantly. I blocked that number, and then those a-holes instantly called me back on a million different numbers. I don't know how many numbers they have, or if it's possible to block them all. How the hell do I stop it?

Well it is easy to get phone numbers to use... I usually get "We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty" bull crap which I just block the number but I haven't got calls repeatedly like you describe... The only thing I can think do is reporting it to your cell phone carrier which is also likely to be a waste of time...
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

*I'd like to add that I'm already on the Do Not Call List. Usually the callers have an Indian accent.

*Now he's just calling me and instantly hanging up before I can even connect with him. I keep blocking his numbers and he keeps calling me back and hanging up again.

Oh yeah that do not call list, those scammers could care less. Eventually they'll get bored with you. Just put your phone on silent, additionally you can set your phone to do not disturb and allow calls from only contacts... Not sure whether you have an iPhone or android but...

https://www.macworld.com/article/3214636...tacts.html
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!
[-] The following 1 member Likes InbetweenDreams's post:
  • Chase

Just do what I do, have some fun. I got a call one time that there was a virus on my computer and they wanted to do a remote connection to remove it
Me in old person voice: what?! Really ?! Oh lawd no.
Tech: sir are you in fromt of your computer ?
Me: my what now
Tech: sir are you in front of your computer?
Me: which one?
He caught on and hung up  Laugh1

@InbetweenDreams I had the exact same call but my phone tagged the number as "possible scam"
[Image: tumblr_n60lwfr0nK1tvauwuo2_250.gif]
[-] The following 1 member Likes ceez's post:
  • Chase

(08-28-2020, 09:23 PM)ceez Wrote: Just do what I do, have some fun. I got a call one time that there was a virus on my computer and they wanted to do a remote connection to remove it
Me in old person voice: what?! Really ?! Oh lawd no.
Tech: sir are you in fromt of your computer ?
Me: my what now
Tech: sir are you in front of your computer?
Me: which one?
He caught on and hung up  Laugh1

@InbetweenDreams I had the exact same call but my phone tagged the number as "possible scam"

I can't. He hangs up before I can say anything. He deliberately calls and hangs up, calls and hangs up.

I blocked a crap ton of his numbers, but I'm hoping he doesn't call back with a different one at midnight or something. I truly don't understand why, I thought I was being really polite.

It's just more evidence to my theory that there is just something about my voice, some resonance or frequency that offends people.

Have you tried reporting it to the FTC yet?

https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/#crnt
[Image: tumblr_n60lwfr0nK1tvauwuo2_250.gif]

@Chase screw being polite lol. Reminds me of those scammers who try to tell people their computer has a virus and tricks old people into letting them remote into their computer and scam them out of money by stealing their credit card or bank information.... Frankly, I think it has more to do with them being scammers and not not whether you were polite or not.
Check out my stuff!
[-] The following 1 member Likes InbetweenDreams's post:
  • ceez

Not only do I get all those typical robocalls and scammers, I've started getting them in Spanish ...apparently, someone thinks my name is Spanish (it isn't).   But my husband has it even worse...he's got some robo-lady calling him constantly, babbling in Chinese.  He also got a call telling him his Medicare benefits would pay for a back or knee brace...he's 42, so obviously not on Medicare, and if he needed  a brace, he'd see a doctor.  These people are demented.

We don't answer our phones unless we recognize the incoming number.  If it turns out to be a legitimate caller, we can always call back.

Can't say I have a massive number of these calls thrown at me but I just block the numbers and that is that. I'm also not polite about it when I do happen to answer, I hear 2 or 3 words and bam...I hang up. Not sure how much else is there to do other than to find the appropriate channel to report and or file a complaint or something. But these kinds of callers are relentless, so I don't know.
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]