Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm not a photographer!
However, I do participate in a friendly, local, no prize photo competition.  The rules of the competition are that the winner of a week chooses the following weeks theme. You have to send the photos to the winner of the previous week and he/she and JC, the Frenchman who created the competition, judge and decide which photos are passed for the public to vote on. Only ten photos are selected and the last three weeks my entries have not been accepted and therefore not published.  I have come second or third on occasions but of late have not had any luck.

This week’s theme was: “High Key Photography”  High Key is a term to describe images that are bright and contain little to no shadow.

I took several dozen shots of my subject and whittled them down to six before decding on one:

JC disagreed and said it should be this one:

Then he said it would be better in black and white:

I didn't agree because I liked the contrast between the colour and the monochrome background of my original choice but, since JC is a professional photographer, I let myself be persuaded.  I will know the resuts on Tuesday but I don't see my photo being among the first 10.

Please feel free to  comment.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams
[-] The following 1 member Likes LONDONER's post:
  • Jay

I'm of the same opinion as you are, I prefer the color version.

I never heard of "High Key", so thanks for using that term.
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

I much prefer the colour shots. The more zoomed in one (2nd), is my favourite.

I can see where JC was going in his thinking; the Black & White photo seems to diffuse the shadows somewhat, which is one of the aims of the theme. I do like the second image, like you say the colour ones have an interesting contrast, but I'm going to pick the black & white one as my final choice I think.

Let us know how it goes.
<<<<I'm just consciousness having a human experience>>>>

Many thanks guys for your comments. The opinions are quite diverse. I'll be interested in the outcome also. If my black and white one gets selected, I will publish the colour version and ask what people think.

I go with what JC chose as well. I love the second photo.

Nice job, Londoner.

(09-20-2021, 08:51 AM)Jay Wrote: I go with what JC chose as well. I love the second photo.

Nice job, Londoner.

Thanks @Jay.  I've submitted what I think is a better version of the B/W, but I still prefer the coloured one.  I'll know later tofday if it gets selected or not.

[-] The following 1 member Likes LONDONER's post:
  • Jay

Well, at least I got in to the 10 chosen.  Its not sour grapes but in my opinion, some of them don't even fit the brief.

The following five are on the next page

(09-20-2021, 04:29 PM)LONDONER Wrote: Well, at least I got in to the 10 chosen.  Its not sour grapes but in my opinion, some of them don't even fit the brief.

The following five are on the next page

Yes, I can see that. Some of them are underwhelming. 

Regarding to yours, congrats! And on a second thought, you know what? Your b/w works well as a huge landscape painting in a minimalist white living room like I normally see in Vogue Living magazine. It would look grand.