Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I want to be less "reserved"
Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:He was 300 feet away and your couldn't walk up to him and chat?

Sheesh... this is what is really wrong with the world... too much screen time, not enough face time.
Your sentiment is true enough but I neglected to mention this was at 2AM... not exactly "visiting hours". He was guarded enough as it was (and understandably so, given the context and age gap), had I suggested a face to face, chances are he would have ghosted me. As it was, we had a little online chat and I've made a potential new friend. And who knows? Maybe at some point we WILL meet face to face.

Are you sure you want to be less reserved? Cause it's the same for me, but when it's time to open up with random acquaintances they're just acquaintances, and I don't really care about being open with them. I'd like to be more open but it's not my nature, I'm deep and made for deep things.
Also, If you're able to manage alcohol, in certain situations, a bit of alcohol will help, it helped me a bit opening in the LGBTQ community of London as a closeted and reserved guy trying to have some fun in the night - club scene.

sillyboy86 Wrote:Are you sure you want to be less reserved?...

Yea I do. I want to be more social in the community, talk to more people, make new friends, etc.

a4b2c Wrote:Well I mean from a social standpoint, being able to socialize (talk) more with people instead of just keeping to myself.

The best advice I can give since I used to be quite shy back in thew day and still am to a good extent. I don't like big crowds for instance. Find a group of people who like the sort of things you like. If you like computers, find a computer club, if you like making model airplanes there's groups that do that too. Bottom line is to associate with a few people that share common interests, hobbies, etc.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

PASSION!

There isn't a man alive whose blood isn't quickened by something.
Be it music, art, science or the bodies of other men.

Find that thing that set's your life ablaze. Study it, revel in it, fill your thoughts and your conversations with it. In time your passion will smash through your inhibitions like a torrent bursting through a dam.

As Inbetween Dreams said, I used to get great joy while singing in a community chorus. I talked a little to the folks seated near me and made one lifelong friend. We were all concentrated on the music but very short chats, like MikeW mentionerd, could happen and it was fun. Believe me, singing Bach and Mozart and the heavies is demanding but wonderful, satisfying work. There was even an open invitation from the group that went out for beers afterward.
I bid NO Trump!

I'm pretty reserved myself. I wanted to change it a lot too but I've just kind of accepted it now. I'm talkative with the people I know and trust. My company/conversation has to be earned, I don't just give it freely to anybody. People need to prove to be worth my time essentially. Sure some people see that as stuck up or conceited but whatever, that's just how I am. Everybody needs to be their own person. So if being super social and talkative isn't your bag? Don't force it. There's enough annoyingly talkative people in the world to make up for it if you never do make the transition!

生年不满百,
常怀千岁忧。
昼短苦夜长,
何不秉烛游。