Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Impartial?
Just occasionally I read something that I cannot believe is true, is from a reputable source.....

I dare say you will have heard of Perry v. Schwarzenegger, the current legal challenge to Proposition 8, which outlawed gay marriage in the State of California. The challenge claims is that the ban on gay marriage is contary to the US Federal Constitution, and so if up held would lead to gay marriage in every state of the union and its recognition by the Federal Government.

This challenge is currently being head in the Federal District court in San Francisco by Judge Vaughn Walker. (Technically the hearings are over and we are waiting on judgement.) The San Francisco Chronicle claimed, on Sunday, that Judge Walker is gay, and had repeated that claim today. This seems to me rather implausible, could Judge Walker possibly believe that if he was publicly outed that people would think him impartial, could he possibly believe that it wouldn't come out and he could keep his private life private? Am I missing something here or ....?
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

I understand what you are saying, Fred, but were he to be gay it would sound a little more fair than having the Prop decision made by people who aren't. I know, when did "fair" come into anything?

To be honest I am more concerned with Judge Walkers sexual orientation becoming the story and with there having to be a second trial (and consequent waste of everyone's money).
Fred

[COLOR="Purple"]Being very liberal I get bored of hearing the same message I already believe in soooooooo I watch Fox News every evening. There are a few shows that are getting very tedious but I still have a few hours of conservative cable news/opinion daily.

It seems that Judge Walker is "openly" gay (was really funny hearing Bill O'Reilly ask for the legal definition (jokingly) of what that meant...). The segment has two female lawyers, one pretty balanced but the other is such a conservative whore!, and all three decided that this was a NON-story... and it seems not to be one. I havent seen it repeated since the day the Chronicle story appeared ANYWHERE!!!

This certainly isnt the last stop of this trial and both lawyers on the show said it would be going to the Supreme Court.[/COLOR]

I would have to agree that it everyone appears to be regarding it as a non story. If Judge Walker is single then I might be inclined to agree, however if he has a partner then he is being asked to judge on whether he has Constitutional right to marry his partner. If he does that has marked implications for his health benefits, inheritance tax position, survivors pension benefits, etc. I would imagine that for a Federal Judge the combined monetary value of such effects, on himself and his then husband, of his judgement would be sizeable.

All that said, regardless of his judgement the case is certain to be heard in the Appeals Court and, very likely, in the Supreme Court of the United States.
Fred

O'Reilly is one of my favorite people. He makes it clear that there is a homophobic bias in the judicial system... well actually in all of society.
Luckily we are coming to.