Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In the Black
Lexington Wrote:Jell-O is just solidified Kool Aid.

Lex

Alcohol is just a Kool Aid substitute.

I'd think financial expertise would be something one learns from dealing with financial investments.

It seems most people are struggling through economic times, and the government is taxing us enough to where some people are paying out of their 401k (family member). I don't have a retirement fund in effort yet, but my father was pretty much robbed by taxation with his. It would take him by the time he is 90 as well to ever get those funds, what is to be expected with fraudulent leadership.

i didn't know anything about this [MENTION=21495]Rareboy[/MENTION].

i agree with what some others said that if you're in a high risk bracket you might want to think about switching to low risk. guys in their 20s and 30s can stomach that because they still have a long way to go till their retirement. but beyond that it should be low risk. i'm not an expert but that seems like a smart thing to do. and i doubt these fluctuations are over.

i hope things work out for you. *hugs*

^ Ah thanks for the concern.......but in truth, most of the money I have actually made in investments has been as a result of troubled markets.

I also have a widely diversified portfolio with only 30% in equities....so it isn't like I've bet the farm.

The one thing I did learn in 2008/09 though is not to blink. If I had kept every stinker from that period instead of tax loss selling....I would have made tens of thousands by hanging on.....all I can say for the young is start saving for retirement early...have fun with investments, keep calm and buy low, sell high.

I still have a decade plus before I actually have to move to no-risk investments...even now, a lot of what I hold is blue chip for the dividends and not the capital growth.

I also should confess that all my speculative investments are using 'market money', that is, the money made on other investments and not the money invested by my own sweat. so if a particular gamble doesn't pay off....I will be annoyed for sure, but happy in the knowledge that it didn't represent my own work. I learned this after I invested in Nortel in the 90's, which was thought to be a rock-solid...almost widows and orphans stock. I lost $25 thousand in my retirement account when it turned out that it was all based on lies and fraud. So from then on...I never rely on reputation or market buzz...only hours of fundamentals research. And sometimes a bit of whimsy.

Keep in mind that Albert Einstein, when asked what was the most powerful force in the universe, replied, "Simple interest."

Rareboy, you are right. Save early. If I had a child, I would teach them that starting from the first day they understood what money is. You simply do not make enough by starting late.

And then there is Warren Buffett who is said to be fond of buying and holding.
I bid NO Trump!

I have a few friends who made fortunes in penny stocks a decade and change ago...but I thonk every one of them has since gambled it away.

I have another woman friend who decided to pull out her 401k four years ago and invest everything. She quit her job in December, as she's now a few million deep, all in marijuana stocks. Hope she manages to hold it.

Lex

i'm gonna wait till cocaine stocks come out.