Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interested in Wicca
Ok so I have been thinking this over and I am genuinely interested in learning more about Wicca. I've always considered myself open minded when it comes to things like this. So I was wondering if any of you could recommend any books or websites where I could learn more.

Wiccans are a very diverse bunch, and so you might wind up with widely divergent recommendations (one Wiccan's inspiration is another Wiccan's disgrace to the community...and beware the "witch wars").

My personal recommendation is Spiral Dance by Starhawk (get the most recent edition you can find), that's a good crash course in its beliefs, practices, and theology (sometimes called "thealogy" for "study of the Goddess") and her group has many who are gay in it. (There's also at least one trad, a "trad" meaning "tradition," that's composed of all gay men but I can't even recall what they're called, never mind what they're about, but that group mixes with Starhawk's a lot.)

Normally I don't recommend Llewellyn (as I see that as New Age with a Wiccan paint job) but there are exceptions, including anything by the author Scott Cunningham, and if you just want a very easy to understand primer then starting with Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner (followed by Living Wicca: A Further Guide for the Solitary Practitioner) seems a solid choice to me, especially if you can't stand politics.

Heads up: Silver Ravenwolf (sometimes with the first name typed as "$ilver") is a Llewellyn author of some contention and many in the Wiccan community tend to either love her or hate her. While I don't hate her myself I also don't recommend her (though I read her Teen Witch when I was a kid and found it unintentionally hilarious and I did a satire of it...but then to my surprise I read a fiction book of hers about teen witches that I enjoyed, though I didn't take it seriously).

Also, the birth of Wicca (or rebirth, however you wish to see it) was pretty much jump started by Gerald Gardner who thought gays were cursed by the Goddess and a few of the more traditional traditions still look down on gays...not many (it's kind of the opposite of Christianity in that in Wicca it's a clear minority that shuns gays while most are fully accepting and there are a few circles composed entirely of gays or try for a mix, like some Dianic circles that try hard to include as many lesbians as possible with the ideal goal of being "half and half"). I think you're unlikely to run into it in America (most of the rare Wiccans who don't like gays tend not to like other Wiccans, especially neophytes, as well), but if you do then don't let it sour your impression. Generally speaking it's a very gay-friendly religion.

I'd also recommend Drawing Down the Moon even though it's more of a sociological examination of the beliefs and practices (but the author is a Wiccan herself) and it's a bit dated (but it still gives a lot of good info). Having been around some in Asatru (not to be confused with Wicca) I think her info on that (which she explores in the 2nd edition) isn't entirely accurate...though I think she believes it is (and it's possible it was closer to true at the time it was written).

And to prevent some confusion I'll throw in that not all neopagans are Wiccans, and not all witches are Wiccan. Though I find it strange (as do many Christians & Wiccans both) there is a trad (trad = tradition) that mixes Christianity & Wicca (I think they're gay friendly, but not certain on that). HP = High Priest and HPS = High Priestess (but some trads, like Dianics, only have priestesses and other trads can be very anarchist in nature and reject such titles completely). And you'll find all kinds of variants, so brace yourself for surprises. And be warned that many have a sense of humor (personally I avoid those that don't) which can manifest as some teasing (but meant in fun, not cruelty) and bad poetry contests.

And finally, you can glean a lot from eclectics and different traditions as well as find Wiccans (with a few other neopagans mixed in) in your area here:

http://www.witchvox.com/

Anyway, good luck in your search. Confusedmile:

Oh yes, you might find this interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiccan_morality

And I've seen the Rede interpreted in various ways. For some, "doing no harm" mandates a vegan lifestyle, but others are hunters who see themselves as part of life and sensible hunting as helping the environment as well as sacrifice being inherent in life (for example, you can't make a garden without weeding it and getting rid of many pests, and the moon has to wane before it can wax). A few Wiccans take an extreme pacifist stance over it while others very much believe in the right to self-defense (after all it's harmful to yourself to not fight back, and stopping an attacker can save someone else later), and a few embrace warrior values that believes it does more harm not to resist evil than to tolerate it waiting for "karma to zap them." An example of this includes Dianics who target known rapists, mass murderers, and war mongers, believing it's harmful NOT to act against these people.

I mention that as just one example of the wide variation you'll find in the community...and if you don't like one interpretation then know there are many more out there to choose from. There is no real pope in Wicca and it's a very individualistic religion, even among most covens (thus accounting for such extreme variation and frequent change). And if that seems strange to you then keep in mind that most Wiccans would rather be the reed that bends in the wind and thus survives the Winds of Change rather than the unyielding tree that is destroyed by the same wind.

Thanks Pix. I'll definitely check all those out. Gives me a lot to think and read about! Smile

I wish you guiding light on your journey.

As a pagan I believe that everyone's journey is sacred and that all that come do so without influence and free will.

Although I am grateful for the Guidance Pix has given you.

Well mum I'm not saying I'm throwing off the cross and putting on the pentacle just yet. But my interest is definitely piqued. And if I did convert to Paganism, or Wicca, or any other religion for that matter, it would definitely be of my own free will. I'm just curious right now and looking for some further information. Smile

Wicca is a loving and beautiful religion that welcomes all and judges none. I am a proud Wiccan!

I just remembered the Wiccan trad made of gay men! You can learn more about them here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radical_Faeries

Pix Wrote:Oh yes, you might find this interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiccan_morality

and a few embrace warrior values that believes it does more harm not to resist evil than to tolerate it waiting for "karma to zap them."

i am one such wiccan i am active duty military so for alot of people it strikes them as odd that i am a wiccan in the military because of the fact that i might be forced to kill another human. the way i look at it (and i know some people will disagree), is if i find myself in a situation where its either i or one of my friends dies or the other person dies, i wouldn't hesitate. the reason is because i am not using my craft to cause someone harm i am using my body or my rifle. but sure im probably going to end up paying for it later but thats the way of life. you live life as it comes and you accept the consequences of your actions

biwarlock Wrote:i am one such wiccan i am active duty military so for alot of people it strikes them as odd that i am a wiccan in the military because of the fact that i might be forced to kill another human. the way i look at it (and i know some people will disagree), is if i find myself in a situation where its either i or one of my friends dies or the other person dies, i wouldn't hesitate. the reason is because i am not using my craft to cause someone harm i am using my body or my rifle. but sure im probably going to end up paying for it later but thats the way of life. you live life as it comes and you accept the consequences of your actions

Cool. Confusedmile:

One interpretation is that by defending kith & kin & nation that these in turn defend you, and if you don't stand up for them then Threefold will get you when they don't stand up for you, and when people refuse to help each other from common enemies then those enemies will come to oppress (that is harm) them all (and preparation also prevents hostilities in the first place).

I think there are more Wiccans (and other neopagans, especially those who follow the Germanic gods such as Asatru) among cops and military forces than many realize. Personally, I trust the Wiccans more than the Christians and am thus glad for them. Wink

In case you missed it I thought I'd point out one of the current essays at Witchvox:

http://www.witchvox.com/va/dt_va.html?a=...s&id=15175

I've noticed that many Wiccans who say such things and tend to join the military are often into the Celtic gods and Celtic virtues. I've seen much better essays IMO but hopefully you'll appreciate it. Personally I like this one (written by a mother) a lot better:

http://www.rokh.info/index.php?id=53

Quote:In looking at the heroes and archetypes that have shaped so many generations of men, and reflecting on the long and remarkable persistence of chivalry as a Western ideal, one central theme emerges: the importance of the Beloved Other to a man's identity. When men are able to commit their singular strength and energy to the service of something or somebody outside themselves, they bloom into graceful, compassionate warriors capable of joining with others in "power-with" relationships to create awesome good. The search for this personal Grail has led men through the centuries to join armies; write love songs; build great temples; place themselves before oppressors with guns, fire hoses, and bulldozers; and grow into husbands, fathers, breadwinners, and elders who shone as beacons for the younger men who came behind them.

Conversely, when that male strength, power, courage, and intelligence are not channeled toward a larger purpose, the desire for "power-over" emerges, and young men's most honorable attributes fester into frustration, violence, and social pathology. The results are everywhere around us: gang warfare, fraternity hazing, brutal work environments, and the recent rash of high school shootings. In searching for this lost sense of purpose - and the identity it would give them - our young men turn their energies back against themselves, each other, and our culture.

While many will certainly want to argue this point with me, I think it's possible that there may be no higher calling for a Pagan man than to provide the Goddess of his choice with the resources she needs -- love, money, land, food, rest, protection, comfort, etc. etc. - to do her best work. This is reflected in our images of Pagan men as hunters, warriors, providers, protectors, lovers, and nurturers; and we see this loving commitment in gods from every corner of the planet: Herne, Tyr, Apollo, Dionysus, Cernnunos, Raven and Maui. Like the tales of chivalry, they tell us that in most times and places, a man's primary form of worship and greatest source of meaning is to be in service to his beloved family, his tribe or nation, or the Goddess herself.

What separates the men from the boys, in the end, is the willingness to make that commitment to the Beloved Other, and the ability to make whatever sacrifices that commitment entails. Every screwed-up young man I've ever known got that way because he was missing this sense of purpose -- and unscrewed himself when he finally found it.

There are pagan Amazon cultures, too (and Asatru women tend to be as martial as the men). The Dianics who truly introduced me to Wicca (I'd heard of it before, met kids who subscribed to it, but never really learned anything before them) favored the Labrys as an amazon weapon (along with the bow, and many embraced guns as well in the same spirit) with the blades of each side representing the waning & waxing moon (complicated to explain but it actually represented the Triple Goddess, at least it did to one Dianic). Various martial goddesses were called upon, such as the The Morrígan to (my personal favorite) Freya. (That's not to say that's all they called on, that was just one aspect of the Goddess, and the Dianics were made up of individuals and groups who worked together, some with widely divergent political & religious beliefs beyond Dianic Wicca.)

My mentor herself (one of the Dianics) was the one who got me into guns and cited how she'd been horribly raped back when she was a Christian because she accepted Christian training that women shouldn't fend for themselves and have faith in God to protect her, and she felt too inhibited to use a club on the rapist as he crawled in and instead prayed as he turned her into a bloody mess. Not only did refusing to defend herself result in harm for her but she found out he was a serial rapist and she met victims before and after her, and she realized had one done what was needed then she'd have never been raped, and had she did what she should've done then others wouldn't have been raped after her (the serial rapist knew how to game the system and walked, and as far as she knows he's still out there raping). This (and her church's reaction) was what would drive her from Christianity and (after many years, over a decade I think) finally become a Dianic priestess, and she's martial now (and studied various martial arts, from Tai Chi to Wing Chun, as well as taken various self-defense courses for women meant to take down much larger males), and one of the first things she did was get me to learn how to use a gun and defend myself in various ways. And should another serial rapist (or anyone else) crawl through her window in the middle of the night or otherwise attack her meaning serious harm she plans to end his existence and she sees that as both a service to the community AND a service to the Goddess. And to that I say Blessed Be.

[Image: clinging8275.jpg]