Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gay Marriage in Austrialia
Apparently the Australian Labour Party within the state of Victoria has voted in favour of gay marriage, despite the fact that the party leader, the Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd has been steadfastly against it. Let us hope that this signals a shift in mainstream Australian political opinion.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

From the Pink News website 27th November 2009
Quote:"Yesterday, a Senate inquiry recommended that gay marriage should not be allowed in the country. This came after the Australian federal government decided not to quash new civil partnership union in the Australian Capital Territory (ACT).

Despite indications it would veto the new civil union ceremonies, the government said they would stay in place with some small amendments.

But religious figures suggested it could pave the way for legal recognition of incestuous and polygamous marriages.

According to The Age, Family First senator Steve Fielding told the Senate inquiry on gay marriage: "A bloke cannot marry his brother; it is not right. A woman cannot marry their sister; it is not right. A bloke cannot marry a bloke because it is not right, and a female cannot marry a female because it is not right.
Good to see Australia's contribution to philosophical debate is alive and flourishing :frown:

Fielding's comments hardly come as a surprise from the land which spawned Rupert Murdoch. The Australian church does not seem much better - not that the British church is anything to boast about.

I hold the sincerest hope that one day the world will recognize that no belief, ethnicity, race, nationality or sexual preference should stand in the way of the blaring fact that WE ARE ALL HUMAN! We should stand together, not apart, and we should love, not hate. This seems like too much to ask, but it shouldn't be any other way. The world has been too messed up for too long now and desperately needs fixing.

true-illuminati Wrote:the blaring fact that WE ARE ALL HUMAN!

So were Pol Pot and Adolph Hitler. Surely, we have to stand apart from some people.
Fred

fredv3b Wrote:So were Pol Pot and Adolph Hitler. Surely, we have to stand apart from some people.

Except that Hitler was created through the mistreatment of the german people following world war 1 ande would never have rose to power except by promising the german people an end to their oppressive situation.

I don't know much of Pol Pot, but no rebellion is successful because the people in the previous government were treated well...

true-illuminati Wrote:the blaring fact that WE ARE ALL HUMAN!

fredv3b Wrote:So were Pol Pot and Adolph Hitler. Surely, we have to stand apart from some people.

true-illuminati Wrote:Except that Hitler was created through the mistreatment of the german people following world war 1 ande would never have rose to power except by promising the german people an end to their oppressive situation.

I don't know much of Pol Pot, but no rebellion is successful because the people in the previous government were treated well...

I don't disagree with your last post, but you miss my point, albeit a Devil's Advocate point. Hitler and Pol Pot were responsible for millions of murders, but they were also human. I don't think that merely being human is reason enough to stand together with someone.
Fred