Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is £200.000 a week until 2018 too much ?
When the Baseball teams went on strike demanding more money I decided to chuck professional sports out on its ear. I do not buy items with sports logos on them, don't buy tickets and pretty much refuse to finance that whole franchise wherever possible.

Granted a sports career ends earlier than most other careers, and there are risks. However there are risks in any job, even the lowly office cubical worker works under the threat that one of the other drones will come to work with a sub-machine gun or 'going postal' in some interesting way. Now days they have to worry that the hive will be flown into by a jet taken over by mad-men.

I can't help but think of Rome and the Gladiators who were paid greater and greater amounts as Rome slid into its corruption and teetered on the edge of oblivion.

It is the same mentality with creating 'celebrities' - entertain the the masses with gladiatorial games, entertainments and circuses while Rome slowly collapses around us.

I am opposed to excess of anything. We live in a world where millions are starving to death, a world where people live from cradle to death in what amounts to a cardboard box (although in some shack towns a cardboard box is a step up). Being paid millions of dollars, Pounds, Euros - whatever to do anything is a bit excessive in my books.

I am also annoyed that those people who are in charge of the most precious commodity on earth, the brains of the next generation of human beings, are paid ridiculously low amounts compared to men who merely kick a ball around, or do something that does nothing more than entertain the masses and pull everyone's attention away from the degradation of education system.

I suppose if I was a political sort all of this would be a good thing. But I'm not, I'm a free thinking human being who knows and understands that this system is designed to keep the masses unwashed, ignorant while the few maintain a death grip of control over the majority.

That amount is insane. People usually idolize millionaires/billionaires who give some of their income to charity but I don't see how anyone could even live with such a fortune without feeling compelled to help out in some way...