Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is anyone else tired?.....
^ I still couldn't believe that someone wrote this.

But far from being a mild notice....my mentioning it in his thread means that that poster is dead centre in my sights.....and I am a pretty good marksman. I was surprised thought that there wasn't any more pick-up at the time and am pleased that you and Boweyn caught it as well.

A trend I've noticed in forums, news sites, and social media is if a person points out racism, they are often attacked and told they are the one that is racist for pointing out something they believe is racist. What a tactic to try to shut down discussion and allow racism to keep going on unchallenged. There is also the trend of people telling people of another race, nationality, gender, or sexual orientation what they should not and should be offended by. If you are not a member of a certain race, don't be telling them what they can and cannot be offended about.

Rareboy Wrote:^ I still couldn't believe that someone wrote this.

But far from being a mild notice....my mentioning it in his thread means that that poster is dead centre in my sights.....and I am a pretty good marksman. I was surprised thought that there wasn't any more pick-up at the time and am pleased that you and Boweyn caught it as well.

I know everyone says they are against censorship, but I think that threads really speaks to what is acceptable censorship and what is not. You know if I posted a pic showing a person with an exposed vagina or penis, the post would last five minutes before being removed and that is the same not just on this site, but almost any site. I am not advocating allowing nudity here, but it seems so strange that the human body is something so offensive it cannot under any circumstances be allowed on forum sites, but hateful speech is something offensive, but you gotta put up with it.

Good point Iceblink...and I have to admit that when I saw it I chalked it up to Swedish interpretations. I have a friend from Sweden who comes over 3-4 times a year and we have long conversations...he usually spend the day with us at least once when he is here...and alot of his words have different meanings as I have discovered over the years...he is a Communist and even more left than I am and over the years I have gotten the impression that racism doesn't even exist in Sweden...my opinion most likely colored by my friend who is definitely not rascist....so when I saw the word I assumed he was using it is a different context since surely no one would write that on a message board like this if it meant what you think it meant....

Now I am going to ask my friend about racism in Sweden..and the use of that word there...I will see him next week actually

If it meant exactly what it means here...I will give him an infraction too. Do you think I am giving him...or Sweden ..too much credit?

Ahhh...OK...I found some discussions about it...I am curious now...

[According to the Wikipedia article “Nigger“ , in Sweden, the use of “nigger” is equivalent of “neger”, and traditionally the term has not conveyed the same pejorative use than in the US, and it had possessed the same character than in the ordinary use of neger (“Det har dock traditionellt inte haft samma starka värdeladdning som i USA, utan ocksÃ¥ haft karaktären av en vardaglig variant av neger”Wink. According to the Wikipedia article “Neger”, “the word neger is not ordinarily used in modern Swedish because it is controversial and can be understood as denigrating and offensive” (“Ordet används vanligtvis inte i modernt sprÃ¥kbruk eftersom det är kontroversiellt och kan uppfattas som nedsättande och kränkande”Wink].

I also found this discussion.....

So, my wonderful, loving, kind, Swedish boyfriend and his family and friends have told me that the word "nigger" is commonly used in Sweden to describe people of African descent and it's not considered too terrible of a word to use. It is impossible for my American ears not to be shocked and appalled when I hear them joking around and using this word, but they seem to think it's amusing that I am so upset to hear it. I understand that a lot of words are used differently here than in the US, and I have noticed that Swedes do not have words in their vocabulary that are considered strong taboos like we do in the states. However, I this is one topic I'm having a hard time with...is this just a cultural difference that I should get used to or am I dating a serious racist?

I am going to ask Carl when I see him next week now...specifically about the use of the word and the connotations....

BUT...it is not acceptable even if the writer means soemthing else and so I will give an infraction as well...

Hmmm...OK....I just went to find the thread....I found it...I reported it....and then I went back and it is gone...poof! I think Andy must have taken care of it. I know he doesnt tolerate that.

Iceblink Wrote:I know everyone says they are against censorship, but I think that threads really speaks to what is acceptable censorship and what is not. You know if I posted a pic showing a person with an exposed vagina or penis, the post would last five minutes before being removed and that is the same not just on this site, but almost any site. I am not advocating allowing nudity here, but it seems so strange that the human body is something so offensive it cannot under any circumstances be allowed on forum sites, but hateful speech is something offensive, but you gotta put up with it.

I am not against censorship on a privately owned message board. The owner of any board has every right to set the tone of the board. It is their time and effort and their $$$.

It also did contain the word "tranny," an offensive word to describe transgender people and I would find it hard to believe that the word has had a long enough history to develop a different intent in different parts of the world. And the use of the word "nigger" being on the kind of list it was included on makes me suspicious that the intended meaning was something mild.

East Wrote:I am not against censorship on a privately owned message board. The owner of any board has every right to set the tone of the board. It is their time and effort and their $$$.

I'm not against it either on a privately owned website. Before anything else, a business' purpose is to make money, or at least make enough to pay costs if it just someone's hobby. They can only do that by providing the best experience for their customer base and that means there will be some censorship on any forum site, news site, or social media site and on some sites there will be more than there is on others. Making the $$$ is their first obligation before your free speech. Some things that are offensive might be removed and sometimes they might bot be offensive at all, but just off topic for the interest of the site. When something is deleted, it's business and today forum sites are really trying hard to survive which reminds of something I saw come up on my fb newsfeed today that I will post in a new thread.

My favorite racism is when people say "I'm not racist, but *insert racist comment here*"

As for the poster that you folks are talking about, I thought about mentioning that listing that was messed up, but didn't as I didn't want to look like I was trying to start a fight over the internet. Now I feel like a wuss.