Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the ICC biased?
With its recent releasing of a warrant for the arrest of Sudanese president,Omar al-Bashir,the ICC certainly raised a few 'brows,was the ICC only gunning down African leaders?Of course,regions like Europe and the Americas are much more stable and less prone to the clutches of power-hungry dictators and therefore there arent really any individuals to prosecute.The story is somewhat diff when it comes to the Middle East.Just this last December,Israel murdered countless Gaza residents and what was did the Int Court do,nadda.Now for those not familiar with the ICC jurisdiction,it can only hear cases involving war crimes,genocide and crimes against humanity.So some might argue that Israel was simply defending its people but really now,the use of phosphorus in weaponcry is classified as a war crime.I'm not even going to start with the war on Iraq,Afghanistan,Sri Lanka etc.Believe me,I'm not defending al-Bashir and the other members of this rather unsavoury group because they really are monsters.What I'm against is how the ICC seems to be using Africa as a test run for its policies and powers i.e. "what will happen if I press this button?" .Any intl. expert worth his salt could clearly see that the peace agreement between Darfur's North & South was very sensitive and drastic action would jeopardize them thus resulting in chaos.But the ICC didnt care,"shoot and ask later" they probably thought.I for one am glad that SA saw the bigger picture and politely tossed the warrant aside.I'm not a politician and would make a very bad one if I was but some things just need good ole common sense.

[COLOR="Purple"]Gonna have to think about this mate... BUT...

Ya busy tonite Wink [/COLOR]

I think the ICC's decision per Se is not biased ... there have been war crimes in Darfur , and Omer AL-Basheer must have been responsible of ..

But this issue is too complicated both morally and politically that its not easy at all for someone to be sure he takes the right stance ..

I think the arrest warrant will have negative consequences on the mission and the rule that founders of the ICC wanted it to play : now , its clear for any potential dictator and war criminal that the ICC itself doesn't have the ability to execute its decisions .. and that its orders will be subject to political compromise at any stage ! .. Al- Basheer is publicly challenging their ability to execute the arrest warrant .. he is flying to many countries just to prove that the ICC can't get him arrested .

yes its a childish behavior , but its not unexpected from someone like Al- Basheer , what look to me more childish is the promises and warnings that had been made before the ICC's decision that it would be executed and there would be no way for compromises after Al- Basheer had turned down the last offers , requests and warnings .

I think the main message of the International Criminal court was meant to be : there is a possibility that victims of war crimes can seek justice without the negative intervention of politicians.. and that potential war criminals should think many times before they commit such crimes , even if they have good relations with a major power ... Al- Basheer's case proved the opposite so far .. and this is not a good start for the ICC ..

I would amend the section that allows the security council to refer cases to the ICC that otherwise would not be in its jurisdiction , and until the rest of the world and its security council decide to set up a universal , fair , not biased system of international justice .. no need to undermine the ICC , and to disappoint countries that voluntarily signed its agreement by cases like Al-Basheer's
[ the ICC jurisdiction is normally the countries that signs its agreement , plus cases refered to the court from the security council ]

Quote:The story is somewhat diff when it comes to the Middle East.Just this last December,Israel murdered countless Gaza residents and what was did the Int Court do

what happens in the middle east is a strong argument against the whole international justice thing .. its used by dictators to justify their actions , but this doesn't mean there isn't a clear bias in there .. a bias that's not only a moral issue .. but also the ideological and propaganda fuel for fundamental Islam in more than a billion population area of the world ! and needless to say its the reason why there is Islamic terrorism , although many decision makers don't want to see that ..

Here in Sudan .. Al - basheer's government has never been popular , even in northern Sudan, but most ordinary people here are against the ICC's arrest warrant .. the reasons : they don't beleive that Justice was what behind the arrest warrant , and they keep saying if so , why don't they condem Israel ? .. the other reason is that they are afraid of facing the fate of Iraq .. if executing the arrest warrant should mean invading Sudan .. i think there is some element of truth in these claims .

Dude!You are seriously the Hayley's Comet of GS!At work now,will read what you've written later on.Anyhow,great to see you here.