Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the world ready for a gay video game protagonist?
Wasn't a main character in Jericho lesbian?

How do we know that some main characters aren't gay? Sometimes we see what their actual interests are, but other times it's not even brought up at all. Maybe some of the characters who are assumed straight are really gay. That's just an assumption. It's true that most characters are clearly defined as straight though.

I think Kirby's about as gay as they come, he'll suck anything he can into his gaping mouth without so much as an insistence on using protection.

eeeeeehhhhhh...no, no, no, no, no most definitely not...

no LGBT characters...it's against God, It's blasphemy, I say...BLASPHEMY

you'll all burn in hell sodomites..

yeah, really, it shouldn't even be a big deal...it's just games..

then again I can see some worried parents thinking, nooooooooo....

of course if your kid picked the gay character..that should tell you something no, parent?

Biglaugh

VileKyle Wrote:How do we know that some main characters aren't gay? Sometimes we see what their actual interests are, but other times it's not even brought up at all. Maybe some of the characters who are assumed straight are really gay. That's just an assumption. It's true that most characters are clearly defined as straight though.

Sonic the Hedgehog (strictly video game based) could be gay for all we know. He's clearly not interested in any women, in fact he avoids a date with Amy Rose like the plague. Then again he's doesn't seem interested in men either. His true love is ADVENTURE!

TonyAndonuts Wrote:Sonic the Hedgehog (strictly video game based) could be gay for all we know. He's clearly not interested in any women, in fact he avoids a date with Amy Rose like the plague. Then again he's doesn't seem interested in men either. His true love is ADVENTURE!

Ooh, you know, we're not sure about the real relationship between Sonic and Knuckles... Sheep

Ekwarph Wrote:Ooh, you know, we're not sure about the real relationship between Sonic and Knuckles... Sheep

Just don't ask how Knuckles got his name.

Personally I think it'd be great if they made a game with a gay main character. I definitely wouldn't want the game to focus on the character's sexuality or have their sexuality define them as a character. I'd like it if they just had a strong, likable, and relatable character that also just happens to be gay. But the decision to make the character gay could be justified by mentioning it occasionally, but never dwelling on the subject. Like maybe the character was bullied as a kid, which I'm sure plenty of people can relate to, and this fuels their desire to be heroic and help people. Just an example, and it's not a big thing, but it makes sense. But as to not focus so much of their sexuality, give the character a deeper past or another character trait that overshadows the fact that their gay, but that fact still remains. I dunno, I think game designers could pull it off. It can't be that hard to make a gay character that doesn't have a sign over their head that says "I'M GAY!!" but also doesn't completely ignore it either.