Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Islamists systematically destroying Syria's heritage
This is so depressing:

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-2819118...ewsletter&...

Just imagine if they succeeded in invading Europe. How much European heritage would be destroyed?

This statue is from the 8th Century BC.
But it was destroyed by the Islamist group Isis. They are systematically pillaging Syria's world heritage sites. Some ancient artefacts are traded for weapons or cash, others that represent humans or animal gods are seen by Isis as heretical to Islam and are destroyed.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

I don't think they intend to invade Europe, though.
If so yes it would be a cultural catastrophe, especially in countries like Greece, Italy, France, UK, Spain...

Why must we fix time and space?

What our world says is that because some peoples built something a long time ago we must dedicate resources to maintain it forever. I believe there is a flaw in the logic.

I am not opposed to culture and the like, but to fix it and say that only certain artifacts are relevant is wrong.

Since I was discharged from the marines I've made a yearly tradition of something I learned about Islam while in Afghanistan. The 1st day of August I hang a 4 ft by 6 ft portrait banner of Genghis Khan on he front of my house to commemorate the month of his death in the year 1227. Had he lived another five years Islam would not exist today. The muslim account of Genghis Khan's cruelty never includes what they did during the prior six centuries. The great khan was only copying their tactics and was better at being cruel than his victims.

Mao Zedong did a simliar thing to lots of the chinese heritage sites I believe (could be wrong). It's sick when people with power and weapons become so inflated in themselves they lose their respect for the world around them.

It is heinous behavior more learned than inherited and only theoretically could be eradicated because we do not have enough rational people to build a consensus to be sufficiently cruel for the greater good nor agree on what the greater good would actually be. Sad
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart

I remembered the picture on the left from a book on world religions from my high school days. The picture on the right is what the Taliban in Afghanistan did to the ancient carvings of Buddha. This is nothing new. They have done this in any nation they've taken over since the 8th century And it's not even the worst of their criminal acts under the name of a religion of peace. Here's a 13 year old link. http://www.rawa.org/statues.htm

CCRox Wrote:It is heinous behavior more learned than inherited and only theoretically could be eradicated because we do not have enough rational people to build a consensus to be sufficiently cruel for the greater good nor agree on what the greater good would actually be. Sad

The greater good would be what you'd do if your house was infested with rattlesnakes.

memechose Wrote:The greater good would be what you'd do if your house was infested with rattlesnakes.

again, an opinion.

I CONCUR! Tank
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart

Did you see Muceti's post....

".......I don't think they intend to invade Europe, though............."

But... all you have to do is listen to Muslims already in Europe talking about taking over the nations they are currently invading................
[Image: ostrich_head_in_sand.jpg]