Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Issues with Kinsey scale
I believe the scale is correct. However, I believe that most people are either completely gay or completely straight. I believe that bisexuality is less common than both heterosexuality and homosexuality. So his scale is right, but I think he completely overestimated the proportion of bisexual people.

I think a lot of people would point to today's trend of bicuriousity in adolescence as proof that he was right, but I think all adolescents are just naturally bicurious and that bicuriousity in adolescence is not bisexuality unless it continues after adolescence

What you think and what things are may not be meshing.

With 47 years of meeting lots of people and hearing 'confessions', bisexuality is more predominate than society lets on. When you get people to start really talking, away from social pressure and peer pressures, they start admitting things that often don't mesh with society's views.

Plenty of gay men have had interest in a (one or two) women. Albeit a slight interest. A lot of straight men have had interest in one or two men. Interpersonal relationships with different individuals can lead one do consider doing things one 'normally' wouldn't consider.

Bisexuals are not tolerated by either the straight or LGBT communities - they are marginalized and often have to pretend to be either straight or gay in order to fit in or to make the whole explaining of how they feel more palatable.

There is pressures on either side to force a bisexual person to pick one gender and be happy. when this wall breaks down, we will find more bisexuals will 'come out' and more predominately straight and predominately gay individuals will confess to having the occasional opposite of their identity attraction.

I agree that bisexuals are more common than most people think, but I don't think they're a majority

Arkansota Wrote:I believe the scale is correct. ...
it is real important to have a self image and nice to have a belief system on it but i cant see that Kinsey's work is relevant at this time.

the Kinsey Reports are from the early 40's maybe late 1930's. Kinsey's work was not that scientific and was influenced by out side sources other than statistical data. Modern sampling theory has grown up in the mean time.

Labels; glbt, gay, bi ... are likely clinically useless anyways

pellaz Wrote:Labels; glbt, gay, bi ... are likely clinically useless anyways

Not really, because it is a fact that I am exclusively attracted to men.

Sigh...

I made a bisexuality thread not long ago. Read through that please and stop judging what you do not know. Just because YOU aren't bisexual doesn't mean others are anything like you.

http://gayspeak.com/showthread.php?t=26561

Most people I've met aren't on the extreme ends. They're close, but not really quite there. And if I really bothered to count I would probably find that I know about an equal amount of bisexual, straight, and gay people. Although that's probably just because of the groups of people I tend to be around.

I don't see the importance of it though. I don't think who's loving what gender to what extent really matters, the issue is when people think it's their business who loves who and when the government thinks they need to be involved in such matters.

Arkansota Wrote:I agree that bisexuals are more common than most people think, but I don't think they're a majority

Nobody ever said they were. Heck, even homosexuality is a minority when compared to good ol' heterosexuality. But at the end of the day, people keep secrets, we lie, we feel ashamed, we colour the truth... so short of mind-reading the entire population, we're never going to find out a literal population percentage for any orientation.

Official polls/studies usually use ridiculously small groups considering the facts they're researching are supposed to be a general analysis. Sexual preferences could most likely be influenced by location for instance, with gay-friendly locations possibly having a higher gay population, due to their acceptance, and thus a lack of enforced denial.

The Kinsey Scale is extremely outdated, but that's because it's extremely old. Much like Freud's ideas, it holds little relevance now - but at the time it did give a greater glimpse into the full story, and allowed people to see more options than the "Straight > Bi > Gay Scale", which to be honest most people still have problems seeing past. So in retrospect, maybe it was actually ahead of its time in a certain regard xD

Ultimately, you can call your self a Kettle. It doesn't change anything.

VileKyle Wrote:Sigh...

I made a bisexuality thread not long ago. Read through that please and stop judging what you do not know. Just because YOU aren't bisexual doesn't mean others are anything like you.

http://gayspeak.com/showthread.php?t=26561

I never said bisexuality doesn't exist. I just said I personally doubt that it's more than 10% of the population.