Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's time to cut the crap.
I am not from Arkansas. I am from Minnesota. And you know what? I am damn proud to be from such a wonderful state.

I believe that using the state flag of Arkansas is not a good choice as an avatar, so I changed my pic to my favorite selfie that I have taken.

It's time to be real. I am a Minnesota boy, I always will be, and even when I don't live there, that's always going to be the place that I feel proud of. In addition, I have a tremendous sense of pride for my parents' home states, Delaware and Iowa. Those states are also a part of who I am.

And so is Arkansas, the place where I am learning to be an adult. However, my core being will always be from Minnesota. That's where I acquired my characteristics from.

This change in attitude is already starting to have its effect. My confidence is skyrocketing. I feel more comfortable with being myself. Why? Because I have an identity that is consistent and stable now. Nobody will ever argue that Minnesota isn't in the Midwest.

I don't think I've ever known anyone to take their "state identity" so seriously. But it seems like you've found a way to be content with.... it. So... I'm happy for you! Congrats.

Wade Wrote:I don't think I've ever known anyone to take their "state identity" so seriously. But it seems like you've found a way to be content with.... it. So... I'm happy for you! Congrats.

You acquire your personality in part through the place you originate from. My personality is Minnesotan and I cannot change that. It's too late. So it's time to embrace it.

Congratulations to you! Big Grin

I don't have a state identity...

It is not where you live but HOW you live that matters, Johnny.

I'm glad you are giving up on the I must live in the South thing - but honestly no matter what state you hail from won't matter to who and what you are as a person.

You are well on your way - Bighug... but you have a wee bit more to go - you are almost there.

Who you are isn't really bound to your state of origin although I suppose it could have an effect on the environmental factors that contribute, in addition to your biological factors, to your identity. I would think it would have a minor impact, but I guess the impact is obviously there, and maybe it's just a way of having patriotism. Still... it's unusual...

But then, so is my sexuality.

I'm happy you came to terms with yourself.

Plus, the Midwest is a diverse, catch-all region. Ohio is completely different from Nebraska. They have almost nothing in common. So I can get a completely new experience in the Midwest.

"Patriotism is the last virtue of the wicked"

Now that doesn't mean patriotism is wicked, it just means its the last virtue the wicked can possess, when all over virtues are thrown to the wind.

Im rootless, i dont fully identify with anywhere. I like it that way.

Good for you though Arky... like your pic Big Grin

partis Wrote:"Patriotism is the last virtue of the wicked"

Now that doesn't mean patriotism is wicked, it just means its the last virtue the wicked can possess, when all over virtues are thrown to the wind.

Im rootless, i dont fully identify with anywhere. I like it that way.

Good for you though Arky... like your pic Big Grin

I think there is a distinction between patriotism and intolerance. I am proud to be from the Midwest but I understand that we have different places in this country so that everyone can find a place that suits them.

I don't know, I have always been proud to be Manitoban, and other than a fondness for Ireland, have never seen myself living elsewhere. Nothing wrong with being proud of your "home."